Sunday, February 12, 2012

She Could've Written the Book

Anna begged to go to the library today.  Poor kid.  We go to the library these days with one-fourth the frequency of earlier days.  The 2 branches closest to us are closed on Sundays, so we went to one in the next town over that we hadn't visited yet.

New branch, new selection of books to browse.  Puppies and fairies seemed to be the theme of Anna's choices.  I at least got to slip in two of my old childhood favorites I had completely forgotten about until today under the "puppy" category: Angus and the Cat, and Angus and the Ducks.  Still great.  There was a book Anna briefly picked up and promptly put back entitled How to Clean Your Room.  "I should probably get that," she said in the exact air of Scarlett O'Hara saying "I'll think about that tomorrow."

This evening, I informed her that her messy room needed to be picked up if she wanted a bedtime story.  She responded, "I probably should have gotten that how to clean your room book."
"Is it that you don't know how to clean your room or more that you don't want to clean your room?" I asked.
She chuckled, "Well, probably more like I don't want to.  But the book would probably help me break things down into simpler more manageable tasks."

Knowing how is not the problem.