Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Fashion Statement, not Political Statement

The only way I was going to get to vote this morning was to wake my seven year old up early and head to the polls first thing.  She was responsible for brushing her hair and teeth and dressing herself.  I noticed as I gathered up all of our paraphenalia for the day that she was wearing a pair of jeggings, flats, a navy hat, and a t-shirt under an open zip-up sweatshirt.

The t-shirt I must explain.  Jeff's family's yearly vacation always involves a  Euchre tournament. There was a prize instated years ago; a green rubber alligator named "Myrtle" after "Myrtle Beach."  The alligator was in mine and Jeff's possession for all of the 7 years the gig has been on, save last year.  Somehow, Jeff's sister and husband managed to win it.  For this summer's trip, Jeff had our friend Rob make Jeff, Molly, Anna and I white t-shirts, plain except for "Free Myrtle" in bold, black letters across the front.  The idea was that we would all have the t-shirts on under other shirts, and when we were about to begin our first game, on Jeff's  key phrase, we would all take the outer layer off to reveal our t-shirts. In case anyone wonders if I still love my husband, that I went along with this ridiculousness is proof that I do. 

Anyway, Anna strutted into the polls wearing her "Free Myrtle" t-shirt this morning.  I wonder what kind of weird political statement people thought we were trying to make.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh so perfect. Just absolutely perfect. :)