Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Double Digits Bring Big Roles

December has been good to Anna.  While it is a little bit sad for Mama to see the single digit years slip away, Anna viewed 10 as the milestone that it is.

After school on the big day, we went to see Big Hero 6.  Anna loved having the whole theater to ourselves because she could talk as much and as loudly as she pleased during the movie. We loved, loved, loved it!
She chose Buffalo Wild Wings (as a side note, new to the East side of Philly/Jersey) because a) Vegetarian sis was at a gig so she felt now was the time to go to a chicken wings place b) because she heard about "the game" from her friends. Meaning, the trivia game the entire restaurant plays. Little did she know that her 2 very nerdy parents used to frequent Damon's on Trivia Night. We pooled the combined power of our big brains (Big Hero 6 reference) and beat the entire restaurant.
Molly joined us at home for cake and presents. Anna wanted a strawberry cake with chocolate frosting "like a chocolate covered strawberry. Can you make some to go with the cake?" And I did, because I know all too well that this is the year when little turns to big. And because my job is flexible and not full time, I can arrange to have afternoons free to work on birthday cake projects.
Another benefit is getting to spend a little time in Anna's classroom again - something I could never do when full time, 9-5. Her class made gingerbread houses to donate to a local service organization, and I got to participate in all the glorious, chaotic, hilarious fun. Again, 4th grade is one of the last years when kids unashamedly act like kids. I also go to witness Anna finding out that she obtained the coveted role of Wendy in the school play (Peter Pan Jr)!

Anna has put in her acting dues, and as she put it, "I've never actually gotten the role I've auditioned for before!" We tried not to let our hopes rise too much, as we were informed that 4th graders often don't make the play at all, let alone get a lead role. (This is not the "everybody makes the chorus" kind of play, which surprised me). She came home in tears after her audition (not unusual. I don't think I've ever had a daughter not come home in tears after an audition of any kind), saying "I danced well, and my first time singing the song I did great, but then she asked me to sing it like 5 times!" I tried to tell her that was a good sign. She was one of 2 fourth graders to get a callback. This would be reading lines, Anna's forte. Anna said she got to read a lot, and took that as a good sign this time. But there were 5 long days to wait to find out.

While it is difficult to navigate the sea of disappointed friends who didn't make it and the catty 6th graders who felt 4th graders should not get big roles, I think once rehearsals get going, Anna will have a blast. This kid loves theater, and has put wholehearted effort into lesser roles for years.  She weathered one tough school year last year and hasn't quite found her niche here yet. And as one of my dear friends put it, "She's been rehearsing for this role all her life!" The chorus teacher said that when Anna started reading she turned to the other judge and said, "This kid has to be our Wendy!"

And as I told Grandma, no, tickets are not on sale yet:)





1 comment:

Amanda said...

Congratulations to Anna!!! She IS a perfect Wendy. How exciting!!!