Sunday, April 7, 2013

Rozelles in Grand Canyon 2013

Back when Jeff and I got married, we planned to take a fantastic, 3 week trip out west. Before we had kids and after he got a "real" teaching job, when Molly was old enough, after grad school... and it never happened. When Molly entered high school, we looked at each other with panic - 4 summers left! 4 summers and she was no longer a minor. (Meaning we technically could never force her on a family vacation again.) At this point, we were now a 2 career family living far from our families of origin. (Meaning we have to take at least one week for Christmas travels, 1 week for extended family/friend visits/trips, not to mention all of the breaks and days off the kids have, track meets that require an hour of vacation to get there - and I only have 3 weeks vacation from my job). What to do?!

Jeff proposed a plan where we would take one week at a time for a just-the-four-of-us vacation. (Something we have never done since there has been four of us). We would pick one region of the west and do at least 2 national parks and one city. Washington - Olympia/Mt. Rainier/Seattle, Wyoming - Grand Teton/Yellowstone/?, California - Yosemite/Kings Canyon/San Francisco, Utah/Arizona/Nevada - Grand Canyon/Zion/Vegas. After that, it's gravy. Since we are moving this summer, and I will exit my job before having to cash in all of my precious vacation time, we decided to go over the kids' spring break. Which narrowed things down to the warmest possibility.

First, I must say, vacation is a good thing. I often underrate and undervalue rest. I needed this: to refocus my vision, reset priorities, and reload my depleted reserves. Most of all, in this time of pre-move uncertainty, it reminded me that home is where the four of us are. Not the house I have been residing in. And now: Rozelle Spring Break Vacation 2013.

We flew into Las Vegas on Good Friday night (the irony is not lost on me). One of the things I love about out west is how vast and big everything is (God help me when I live in New Jersey). Though I do not love how far the driving distances are between things. We struck out first thing in the morning and headed for the Grand Canyon.
We stopped for lunch at a cafe on old Route 66. Anna ate an entire adult rib platter, which caused the amazed waiter to take her photo for proof. 

 Here we are!
What I will not do is post a lot of pics of scenery. None of us have good enough cameras or are amazing enough photographers for that. This is Anna and I getting our first good look. Let me just say that I was surprised at how complex the Grand Canyon is. It always just looks big and orange in pictures. Maybe because it is spring and not super hot, but it was much more captivating than I thought it would be. I don't know why I am always surprised at how gorgeous National Parks are. You think I would get it by now.
Molly did take some good shots, as I look through these, but I will try to keep my promise. It looks fake in person too, not just in pictures.

Sometimes there is a fine line between fun and jeopardizing National Park treasures. We find ourselves walking that line sometimes.

Promises, shromises. Molly is pretty good with her little point and shoot. The shadows are always moving here, and the same place looks different hour to hour.

We do not have pictures of our nighttime adventure. We went to a stargazing talk hosted by a ranger who did a great job pointing out constellations (I have previously not been so hot at identifying constellations) and telling ancient stories about them. Besides the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, this has been the best star-viewing experience I have had. He was a great storyteller too. I especially loved the stories told by the Navajo. I am physically restraining myself from hopping on my soapbox;)

We got up before dawn on Easter Sunday morning to attend the Sunrise Service over the Grand Canyon. It seemed like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I am partial to Easter sunrise services in lovely places. For a bit of comic relief, international tourists who had no idea what was going on would randomly burst in on the service chattering and flashing pictures and trying to push through for a spot on the rim. Alleluia.

We took advantage of our early start to get on the trail heading down into the canyon. (The earlier you can get on the trails in National Parks, the better - if you prefer less crowded conditions). We did not know if all of our party could handle more than a 3 mile round trip hike, given the altitude and climbing, so we hiked down to the mile-and-a-half resthouse and back up. Molly and Anna were fabulous hikers.
I know, Syracuse, that you had 8 inches of the stuff while we were gone. This was all we saw our whole trip, in one tucked in corner. Otherwise, impossibly blue skies and sunshine.

Looking up. Yes, the sky was REALLY that color!
Molly and Jeff had all kinds of geonerdy discussions about the layers and eras and took pictures to show Molly's science teacher. Anna and I were like "look at the cool red line!"
A fun cave you had to walk through. On the way back up, we would have had to wait 15 minutes to get this shot. Early to the trails, I urge you.
We were repeatedly told that a danger of the Grand Canyon is that like mountain climbing, it takes twice as long to hike up as it does down, but unlike mountain climbing, you are doing that on the way back and it is difficult to gauge when its time to turn around. We decided no matter what, we were turning around at 1.5. Much to Jeff's chagrin, it took us LESS time to hike up. He maintains that all of his girls are mountain goats. This shot was taken by Molly and Anna, waaaay up the switchback from Mom and Dad.


I chose to include this one because you can see the people's location on a part of the trail and get an idea for how the trail switched back and forth down the canyon. We stopped for lunch at a great spot on the rim when we were done, then took the shuttle to the opposite end of where we had been to walk that side of the rim.
Molly uncharacteristically photo-bombing this shot. Usually that distinction belongs to Jeff.
And notice that Jeff thought this was hilarious. And Anna. And Molly. And me.



Along the south rim trail.The Grand Canyon had more vegetation than I expected as well.
Perspective is a difficult thing to capture.

A few tips: any food inside the park is super pricey. In the outlying town as well. Stock up at a real grocery store in Vegas. 
On our way out, we stopped at The Watchtower on the other end of the South Rim park. I loved this lady's architectural style. I could go hunt down the literature about it but I'm lazy and you probably don't care all that much.

I like how I look like I'm 10 in this picture. This is the patio about halfway up the tower. She uses all natural materials that compliment the surrounding area. There was a cool hearth and benches with a great view.


I like how Anna looks like she's 5 in this picture. This was a really cool stone table. Moll didn't quite get it, but Anna looks cute and you get a view of the desert beyond the canyon.

At the very top you could look out for miles:

Bye Grand Canyon! (I am totally cheating - this last shot was from our first day at a different spot). Now the long ride to Zion.





No comments: