Friday, March 15, 2013

A Good Place to Live

In quickly checking online the location of a coffeeshop I would like to try this morning (here 4 years and I am still discovering things - heard yesterday that this local business is hands-down the best roaster in town), one of the entries that popped up in my search was entitled, "Is Syracuse a good place to live?" I risked the momentary detour.

Consensus seemed to be that for the East coast, the cost of living is low (but for taxes, frustratingly high), the city activity level is only so-so, the quality of air and water is tremendous, the natural beauty of the surrounding area is first-rate, and the winters are ridiculous. Kind of slow for young adults looking for action, but a great place to raise a family (if you send the kids to school in the suburbs).

A reasonable summary, all in all. And interesting to ponder in almost-retrospect as we are about to leave Syracuse in a few months.

I wasn't looking to leave. I had settled and claimed it and obviously am still seeking out its gems.  But my house has a for sale sign stuck in the yard and I am running an ill-informed pros and cons list in my head like a stock market ticker through my brain constantly of the NJ suburbs of Philadelphia. Pros: lots to do, good public transportation and walkable, great restaurants and entertainment, weather? Cons: ridiculous cost of living, ridiculous traffic, no snow?!, flat and barely any natural beauty, repeat each of the cons with more emphasis.

But my husband came back from a weekend workshop at his soon-to-be new job full of energy and enthusiasm such as I have not seen in years.

But this house-selling business is all cons and no pros.  So far. Anna said to me last night, "I am so tired of our house being perfect all of the time! I can't even put one thing down! I LIKE when our house is jumbly. It's not even like we don't really live here!" I agree. Living in a magazine spread is only fun for one day. Too much anxiety. Too much hanging your best out there to have other people nose through and tell you what they hate about things that cannot change, like the slope of the driveway.  But did you not love the shiny clean hardwood floors in great condition? People who showed up on our doorstep without appointment, even though the showing instructions ask for 2-3 hours notice: "I loved the house but the driveway has got to go." The response in my head: "I hope you fall down it on your way out." See, it does not bring out the best in me, this house-selling business.

I am going to be late for work this morning if I stop for that coffee. Or not - it's Syracuse traffic. I have a shining attendance record at work and a 5 minute tardiness on a Friday morning will not be noted. Actually, I don't know if I will make it on time this morning without the stop. So I should go.

My summary and answer to "Is Syracuse a good place to live?" "Yes, it is. And I know the perfect house for you."

2 comments:

The MessyBlessyMomma said...

WHERE WHERE WHERE. Stay with us when you househunt. Come to the Water Gap. I will show you beauty. PROMISE. PLEASE!!!! EMAIL ME ellie(dot)north(at)gmail.com

Tiffany said...

I will e-mail you soon, Ellie:) Moorestown - Philly suburbs. Whether or not we househunt depends on whether or not we sell the house....but I can probably arrange a visit at some point anyway!