
Today was Anna's first day of preschool. In her opinion, we could not get there soon enough. (We were 20 minutes early). Jeff and I hung around the class, just in case she decided to cry. Not to worry. She made friends right away. She looked over at us and said loudly, "When are you going to leave all ready?" When the teacher came in with other children, Anna rushed over to her, waved in front of her and shouted, "Hi, I'm Anna! I'm Anna!" The teacher said ,"Hi Anna, " and directed all the children to find their names on the carpet. Anna's was right next to the teacher. Smart move, teacher! Anna sat down and immediately starts waving her hand in the air. "Can I be your helper today?"
The teacher sang a song that went something like "(Child's name) came to school today, school today..." and the child was supposed to raise their hand and take their name tag. Many children were shy and didn't raise their hand. When the teacher sang Anna's name, she got a huge grin on her face. When the teacher sang, "Is Anna here today?" Anna exclaimed, "Of COURSE I am! I'm your helper!" Jeff and I looked at each other, deciding without having to speak that she was going to be ok and we needed to leave before we were inevitably going to be embarrassed. Clearly, Anna wasn't holding anything back, first day or not. When I picked her up, she came out smiling, "I had a GREAT first day, Mom!" Her teacher said, "Yes, she did. She was my helper all day." I quietly asked, "She wasn't too much, was she?" The teacher kind of looked at me funny and said, "Why no, not at all." Just wait, teacher. Two other moms made a point of coming over to me and said, "Anna is really a leader! Is she almost 5?" "Do you mean in a good way or bad way, and no she's 3 and a half." "A good way! She's so confident." Yes, you have no idea. She's just getting warmed up. In the car Anna said, "I asked my teacher if I could be her helper every day." I said ,"That was nice, Anna, but you know that it will be other children's turn to be helpers too." Silence for a moment. "But Mom, she said 'Certainly'."
Ready or not, here she comes...
2 comments:
How funny! Mike and I were laughing reading it together. Oh, to be a mouse in Anna's pocket!
I can't wait to read about other adventures!
Anna is so much fun and such a great source of joy(usually.) :) What a blessing from God!
P.S. Did Anna get a haircut for school?
Post a Comment