First, I must admit that it was a bad decision not to drop a class after all, despite those earlier posts. When life gets crazy, either you go crazy, or you adapt. Normally, I have some legal and safe coping mechanisms up my sleeve to deal with life when it feels out of control. Unfortunately, none of these have been available lately. A few:
Coping mechanism #1 - Friends. Well, they are far away (most of the time - thanks again Lansing girls for that great weekend!) I don't have time to call them nor do I have time to make new ones. Until I do, I think I'm out this one.
Coping mechanism #2 - Blogging. Writing is therapeutic for me. Not the kind of writing I've been required to do, where I get graded and have to look up proper citation methods and such. This kind of writing. I'm stealing time to do so right now. See, I can pretend to listen to my kids while I am on the computer sometimes. Feeding them chocolate snacks also diverts their attention from my inattentiveness. With some creative parenting, perhaps I can sneak in some blogging once a week or so.
Coping mechanism #3 - Running. The only time I have to run is at 6 am. It's dark, usually raining, and I am tired, as I've usually been up late working on papers. I miss running, but I lack that motivation right now. If I miss the 6 sharp alarm, the window of opportunity closes as I have to get Moll off to school. I also have been instructed by my vet that my diagnosed-with-anxiety-dog needs 60 minutes of aerobic exercise a day. He hikes and trots like a champ. But he does not run. I've tried it. He digs his paws in and looks up at me like, "Lady, you've got the wrong dog." The upside is that I have to get in an hour of walking. (I've been splitting it, and Anna comes with me in the morning, and Molly comes with in the evening, also getting my children exercised.) The downside is, it's not running. A run a day = ice cream at night. That's a balanced equation. Walking - nope, have to start playing with coefficients and all that stuff I hated about chemistry.
So in order to balance the equation again, on my friend Julie's mention I got myself a Jillian Michaels workout DVD. I am not one to jump on bandwagons, but what comes out of Julie's mouth is money, people (notice she got a quote a few posts back - she is way more together than I). The sessions are 20 minutes - I could squeeze that in. And add the ice cream back. (well, I never actually subtracted ice cream...).
I am no novice to exercise and consider myself relatively in shape. But Jillian kicked my butt. YES! I think this might work. Another bonus is that Anna joined me. "She's KILLING me mom!" she'd pant, with her beanie baby weights:)
While the Jeff and Tiffany Rozelle family is chaotic, undependable, not organized, and are deficient planners; we are flexible. Thankfully, flexibility is a key component to adaptation.
Pause button off. My family is on to me....
2 comments:
Ooo, so now I'm interested in this new workout! If it kicks your butt, it will kick mine!
Um, there is a big difference between being in the kind of shape I'm in, and the kind of shape you're in (marathon shape). Keep in mind this is 20 minute kick your butt, not at all like 4 hours of butt kicking. Are ya feelin' ready?!?!?!
Post a Comment