The other reason I took an afternoon "off": I REALLY needed jeans. I live in jeans. And I am down to a pair that is just about worn through the knee, a really dark dressy pair that only looks good with certain things, and a pair that isn't great but it was 5 bucks and is fine for soccer games or the pumpkin patch.
In Michigan, I had a go-to consignment shop where upon every trip I was guaranteed to find a pair of jeans, in my size, for under 15 bucks. No joke. Most were great, but if not - I only spent 10 bucks and it would suffice until next time I went.
In the old days, Gap was a good bet. First stop. I browsed the sale racks, of course, and then got serious and took several pairs of jeans in the dressing room.
Um, whose dumb idea was it to combine the concept of jeans and stretch pants? I know exactly two people who would look good in those: my cousin Rebekah and Molly. Women who've had children are immediately disqualified. They aren't even comfortable, which defeats the purpose of jeans. Not to mention that no jeans were on sale, meaning I would have to drop 60 to 70 gift certificate dollars on them. For one pair.
Next stop American Eagle, a good bet an even longer time ago. Same prices but a "boyfriend" fit pair. I was smack dab between 2 sizes. The size I usually wear made me skeptical that when washed would become flood-ish and squeez-ish. The size up would totally be exposing people to way more than they want to see, and I would be annoyed to death pulling them up all the time. And belts just make jeans all bunchy.
I made my way around to all the mall stores (except J Crew - I closed my eyes when passing and was lead not into temptation) and found myself in either of those 2 boats. And all were way more than I wanted to spend, bumping into jeans at Banana Republic for $100. The cheapest I found were a pair at Old Navy for $30-35, but they were definitely not right at all. Jeans THAT "not right" don't even merit 5 bucks.
With a sigh I headed to the department stores. I haven't been in a Lord & Taylor since high school, and when I saw a pair of jeans with a sticker of $199, remembered that this was a too-high-end-for-my-budget store. But I still went over to the Calvin Klein & DKNY racks where they had some on sale for $40. Wait - this was the "women's" department - why were all the "jeans" the stretch pants variety? I looked at the women 20 years older than me bringing those jeans to the saleslady to ring up and thought, "Really?" They were shopping alone. I thought about approaching one and asking her if she'd like to pair up - because shopping buddies can keep you from disastrous mistakes. Girlfriends who will honestly answer the question, "Do these jeans make my butt look too big?" are a priceless resource when shopping. I didn't have one with me this trip either (though I was fairly certain that the answer to that question concerning said jeans would be "Yes.")
I looked at my watch and almost cried. Time to pick up Anna soon. All this time wasted for nothing?! I practically ran the entire length of Carousel Mall to Macy's. I honed in on the Levi racks, remembering once upon a time liking one of their 5somethings. I tried on a pair of 505's, my normal size - SUCCESS! And 35 bucks. I flagged down the nearest sales lady, sprinted to my car and was the last mom at the preschool to pick up her child.
They were super comfy all weekend as I jaunted around Skaneateles and Syracuse University campus with Jeff's family this weekend. I just about shed tears when I had to put them in the wash this morning and find another pair of something to put on. Maybe I'll have to get me another pair o' them 505's. Or a great consignment shop in my new area.
5 comments:
So the big question; are they skinny jeans?
Seriously, your titles are so great! Glad you finally had some jean success! :)
No, skinny jeans would not have been considered success on my booty.
Hey I got a shout out! :) And I have to do the same thing with J.Crew. If I go in there I can justify any purchase.
What's wrong with Target... I find jeans there all the time. Sounds like you really could have used a shopping buddy. Wish I could have been there to help you.
Post a Comment