You get a lot done without kids around. You also have no excuse to play either. Or waste time, whichever you prefer to call it. Since the kids are away I feel the need to call it play because I suddenly don't care how much time I've "wasted."
I have realized how many times during a normal day I stop and join a rendition of "Hard Knock Life" (Annie) or "Bonjour" (Beauty and the Beast). Or how much I actually enjoy that. It's kind of nice to hear, "Oh, Mom, you are SO good at doing Gaston's voice." Even though I know it's because neither one of them want to assume the male vocals.
There are lots of cuddle breaks during the day too. Annie is one to come up and throw her arms around me and tell me she loves me, or plop on my lap if I happen to be sitting. Unless I tell her to clean up toys, in which case she stomps away pouting, "You are the MEANEST Mom!" Molly still, at age 11, will randomly lay her head on my shoulder and put her arm around me. She is 11 for one more month, and I secretly hope she doesn't stop being so affectionate.
They both cannot do anything without calling me over to see what they've done. "Look, Mom! Look at this cool new game they have on this website." And I have to stand there for five minutes while they play the game. Or "Mom! We decorated the playhouse to look JUST like Kit and Ruthie's - come see!" So I trek up to the playhouse. "Look, Mom!" at what they've dressed up in. "Look Mom!" at the crazy video they just created using Molly's camera. "Look Mom!" at the trick they think they've just taught Biscuit, which of course the dumb dog doesn't remember by the time I am there to watch. Countless times a day I get the "Look, Mom! Come see!" That adds up.
They also beg for games to be played with them, lunch to be eaten in the playhouse with them, to be taken "somewhere fun" (that's Annie's constant question - "where are we going to go that's fun today?") They want to read to me. Have me play a character (another Annie specialty). Fix their hair (Molly, not Anna). Paint their nails. Go on a bike ride (Molly). I don't always indulge these, but at least one of these items is usually on the day's slate.
Take all that away, and there are lots of hours in a day. Hours I usually crave to get things done, or have time to myself or just with Jeff.
But for the record, I could use a little play time every now and then.
3 comments:
It always seems easier to remember these things from a little distance. Thanks for using your distance to remind me.
I was just telling Colin I need two or three days without the kids to remind me how lucky I am! Guess I may be right! Though reading your post, maybe I can just feel lucky in the moment.
Tiffy, you're such a good mommy. I love this post. I love the plopping in my lap and the inclusion in games. This time is so sweet. Cheers to you for recognizing it and reminding us. :)
Post a Comment