Thursday, August 12, 2010

In Love


Jeff and I are in love with Keuka Lake.  It's our favorite Fingerlake, and we find excuses to drive by or visit whenever we can.  Every time we are there, we get glazed over eyes, sigh a lot, and dream.  Head over heels. Ready to plunge into foolishness for love's sake.

This morning, after quite a bit of research, I discovered that Jeff and I really cannot afford a cottage on Keuka Lake. Which is a bummer.  I had all sorts of visions dancing in my head, and I am certain Jeff had them first, because he spent an hour totally off on a house hunting detour that made no progress in our journey home yesterday, making me write down addresses and names of real estate agents.  

For less than 24 hours, there was a chance you could have had a vacation option of visiting us on gorgeous Keuka Lake, in the heart of wine country, free of charge.  Of course, if it wasn't free of charge, then maybe we could afford it.... but that's not the way we roll.  We'd rather just treat you.


I really don't know what gave us the idea that this was feasible.  I blame it on vacation mode. Vacation is like that - it gives you this taste of life that makes you want to shirk all the rest of your responsibilities forever.  It only takes a few days of housekeeping making up the beds and changing towels and cleaning bathrooms, only a few meals I don't have to worry about, to lull me into a life of chasing purely recreation and comfort.  

Which isn't the way life (mine anyway) is supposed to be.  It isn't sustainable and I have a sneaking suspicion that human nature would send me on paths of even more consumption and pleasure-seeking.  If too many of us lived like that, it wouldn't do the world much good.  

In reality, my life is rich and full and I lack for nothing.  I say that with all sincerity.  

But just in case our luck changes, Divine will intervenes and further blesses, we could definitely put a Keuka Lake cottage to good use....

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh, and I picked the slightly blurry photo on purpose. To lend a dreamy, not quite attainable feeling....

Amanda said...

Love the photo comment! :)

How do you pronounce the name of that lake? (Include the NY accent, if applicable.)

Tiffany said...

cue-kah. An Iroquois word that supposedly means canoe landing. I'm not sure how to assume such an accent, and I am a little surprised that they did not come up with something like "one of the most captivating places on earth."

brandon said...

I think too many people *do* live like that, which contributes to the screwed-up-ness of this country.