Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Running Advertisement

Well, we didn't get to the Adirondacks.  Yet.  Plans are in place for the high peaks soon.  We still had a great Saturday.  I hesitated to write because I feel as if my summer posts are one long advertisement for the state of New York tourism.  But then I decided I didn't care - these posts might serve as hope for me when my deck is buried under snow for months.

We took a little boat out on Skaneateles Saturday.  It was a blue sky, no humidity, perfect summer day.  I can't explain how gorgeous.  We had never cruised this lake and again, I cannot tell you how lovely this lake is.  The wake water looks like the turquoise kind in nice mini golf course water hazards.  The water is amazingly clear and you can't believe you're looking at the bottom when the water is so deep.  But it is DEEP (I think 780 feet in the middle) so most of the time you can't see the bottom.  When the kids are in the water you can see all of them perfectly clearly.  The lake is 16 miles long and the motor on the boat was small, so we didn't make it all the way around.  We stopped to do some swimming and fossil-finding a few times.  Jeff requested Doug's Fish Fry for dinner.

Monday we had storms.  We attempted to go for a walk during Molly's lesson in the evening, but ended up settling on a drive when lightening came.  As we drove around the countryside and saw a big rainbow stretching out of the hills on one side of the road and a brilliant sunset on the other, I again was in awe of the scenery.

Tuesday we picked blueberries with friends and visited with the animals at a local farm we frequent. I spent a good part of the afternoon preparing the blueberries to be preserved and making a beautiful blueberry crumb pie with Molly chatting at my elbow the whole time. Another perfect way to spend a summer day.  I had to run out to the store to grab vanilla ice cream to go with the pie and a few other things I needed for dinner and left the girls. (This is the beauty of having a soon-to-be-teenager who has her babysitting certificate - I don't have to drag everyone to the grocery!)  When I came home, my pie had turned into a map of central New York: there were distinct Fingerlakes etched into it.  The guilty party turned out to be Anna, who also knocked over the plant I have amazingly kept alive for almost as long as she's been alive, surviving a move from Michigan.  It lost about half of it's growth and looks a little shell-shocked.  So leaving the 6 year old with the almost 13 year old didn't go as smoothly as I would've liked today.... But the pie still tasted great.

Boring post for you, but ammunition against winter blues to come for me.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Honestly, I love daily life posts. They feel so intimate and cozy. And homey.

Also, I was relieved that this was not an advertisement for running, which I do not love. :)