Yesterday, we had a party for Molly. 13 year old parties are in many ways WAY easier than little kid parties. They don't expect decorations or elaborate party games and favors. They don't run around and scream in quite the same way - note that they do run around and scream, though. But things usually don't break and no one usually ends up crying with a red bump on their forehead or anything like that. You don't automatically double your number of guests because all moms and possibly a few siblings stay. We invited Moll's 3 best friends for a sleepover. They ate pizza. They embarked upon a craft of Molly's concoction down in the basement all by themselves and only once did they ask me for anything: if I had another pair of scissors. I realize that there are other concerns, like are they running into the woods at 2 am or on websites they shouldn't be at 2:20 am, but thankfully this bunch is pretty chicken-livered and good. And there's a well-known fact in our house that Mom and Dad can and will trace all of your web browsing.
Moll has a nice group of friends. They showered her with really nice gifts.
She received gift cards to Target and Barnes & Noble and ITunes. Vegetarian Times magazine. A magnetic dry erase board. Lip gloss. A journal.
Notice who is right in the middle. There were lots of tears when she was not allowed to be included, and lots of complaining from Molly when she was. This is not a situation where the sisters get along well.
Because you must see some of the silliness to get an understanding.
Molly chose a cake that looked like a little half watermelon. Look at all those candles.
She managed to blow them all out in one fell swoop, though. I wonder what she wished for?
After, the girls went mini-golfing. I wasn't present, but I can guess there was lots of silliness, as depicted by this picture. Apparently, there was no score keeping going on.
We had a Wii Fit competition and there is video tape of that. But no one needs video of me flapping my arms like a chicken or "hula-hooping." Molly deleted it all anyway because she didn't want to take up all of the memory.
Memory on what?
Don't you judge me, Earl Hickey. I have the best 13 year old in the world and I knew she absolutely had her heart set on one and was afraid to ask.
Yes we did. And I told her not to ask me for anything for a year. Not even a pack of gum. Look at that smile, though. She hasn't put it down.
The girls talked me into an extension and I hauled them all to the mall, to get Frosties, and then hang out at the park. Molly had a great time and is totally exhausted. (I finally had to tell them to get in bed at 3:30 because they woke Anna up). Worth it. And that sweetie is down in the basement cleaning up after the mess made by the craft (handbags made from t-shirts). She totally deserved a great birthday.
2 comments:
is that an IPHONE!?!?! seriously, you are my new mom.
please tell me its just an itouch?! I just shed a few tears.... 13? Are we really that old? We are sooooo going out and hiring her to babysit this new years eve! She is beautiful and you guys have done a fantastic job!!!
Post a Comment