Saturday, November 7, 2009

Can I Get A Pair of Uggs, Somebody?!

I am getting increasingly nervous about winter.  I'm hoping all the talk is similar to when Cincinnati news stations interrupt prime time programming to warn of the terrible winter storms.  A lot of hype that is never lived up to...

In July, when the weather was unseasonably cool and rainy, random people in stores would joke, "Well, at least it isn't snowing."  Total strangers who had no idea I have never spent a winter in Syracuse - would they possibly just be messing with me?

I've been noticing Christmas lights going up around the neighborhoods.  Now, perhaps these folks have gotten their seasonal clocks disrupted by the retail stores that have all their Christmas stuff out the day after Halloween.  Or..... they're expecting lots of snow soon and afraid they won't be able to get their decorations up if they don't act now.  Now my neighborhood is a little more worried about this than other neighborhoods I've lived in, so I can just wave that off. Until today when I saw that the city of Syracuse has holiday lights and decorations up in the skating area downtown. 

Today, when researching the possibility for hiking destinations, I came across this: "Central New York is known for the extremely heavy snowfall it receives."  Yeesh.  When the hiking guides are printing this, one has to wonder.  It has not passed my attention that Syracuse has been labelled the U.S. city that receives the most snow.  

I read a few months ago that LA fashionistas were scoffing the fact that people were still wearing Uggs in other parts of the U.S.  They had long cast off theirs, and were wondering why others were hanging on to this oh-so-dated look.  Like all wheel drive vehicles, I have noticed a lot of Uggs in Syracuse stores. And wearing Uggs in LA? Surely they looked dumb even when it was the height of fashion.  

Well, I've got my Subaru (Jeff had better get some snow tires on Matrix), and a fireplace.  I'm not a Southerner.  I was born and spent my childhood in Chicagoland, I recently hail from mid-Michigan.  But I believe I have cause for fear...

No comments: