Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Little Girls

You must imagine me doing my best impression of Miss Hannigan singing this (or maybe not - last time I impersonated Miss Hannigan, my little Annie started to cry - guess I was a little too convincing).  

Sometimes I envy people with all boys.  Not always.  But sometimes.  When my girls come home from school and relay all the drama swirling around them, when they are anxious because of friend problems I think, "It's less complicated with boys."

Anna's been crying about going to school for over a week. I finally got to the bottom of what was going on.  A couple girls were fighting over her, insisting she play with only them, not anyone else, or they would not be her friends.  On top of that, a little girl she especially loves was being deliberately excluded and picked on.  Apparently, this kind of peer pressure is too much for even my strong, socially mature girl who gets comments on her evaluations like, "the child who always includes those who are left out.  Everyone likes Anna.  Anna is kind to everyone."  If Anna can't handle this, what preschooler can? Why do little girls have to do this?  Why can't they all just round up for a game of kickball like boys do?  Why are the mean girls defining themselves at age 5?  

The problems solve themselves as school for Anna comes to an end this week.  But I know too well that this is not the end of the girl drama.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Oh, that sweet girl! It's such a hard road. Just think, she's got a great life at home, the challenge of her life all has to be struggled outside of home...


...naw, forget it. That just stinks and girls are mean. Go to school and kick their tushies!!

Kristy said...

Wow, this is early for girls to turn into turds. Poor Annie.