Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Old and the New

It dawned on me how connected I was to my "new" surroundings this week:

Monday: play group at an indoor soccer arena, inaugural (mine, ever. Tonya's, of the season) visit to Boom Boom Mex Mex, the most popular Mexican restaurant in our town. 

Tuesday: Annie and I had a nice visit with Barb in the nursing home. She had karate in the evening.  Annie, that is. 

Wednesday:  Center for New Americans highlight: while doing apartment check-ups met two delightful Somali families.  Took Leah to Biscotti's for lunch (Pam taught me well).  Yes, Jeff got a cannoli for dessert that night:)

Thursday: karate for Nan, soccer for Moll, book group for me at Cathy's

Friday: took a friend of Anna's and his mom, Jen,  hiking in Clark Reservation

Saturday: running with Sharon at Onondoga Lake Park, chicken bbq and carnival at church

Sunday: church service 

Wow - this looks like a week of someone who might finally be settling in!  That being said, I am thrilled that this time next week, I'll be in East Lansing. Despite the noted progress, here are a few things I am SO looking forward to:

- An evening out with The Tuesday Girls!

-Hanging out with Jamie and Glenn and Rowan, and an added bonus of doing so at one of the places we miss most - Lake Lansing Park.

-I aim to get into my mouth the perfection that is the hummus at Woody's Oasis.  There is no better hummus on the planet.   

-Also, I will ingest ice cream from MSU's dairy store - Sesquicentennial Swirl. (Hey - I didn't get spellchecked!) Anyway, I will indulge in this too-sweet and too-green goodness.  

-It hit the 80's this weekend, and after an outdoor carnival and yard work on Saturday, I dreamed of Bells' Oberon.  I think I might have to bring some back with me.

-The girls and I hope to drop by the MSU Children's Garden, a place where Anna spent a good portion of her early years.

-A wonderfully flat run on East Lansing and Lansing's  river trail system.  

-A visit to our old church to see friends there. 

-Maybe a visit to see our former neighbor and  Violet, the basset hound? Annie's begging. 

-Some time with the Dresslers? Hopefully we can coordinate with them, since they are just 2 hours away....

We'll also get to see Mom and Dad Rozelle and Kate, who are coming to see Jeff wear his very elaborate hood and gown.  Maybe it was because he was standing in our kitchen and looking like he stepped out of the Renaissance, but I giggled and giggled when he tried it on.  Though I'm sure we'll all be very proud of him when he wears it on Friday.  

Thinking of all the familiar places, routines, people, and tastes that were part of my daily life - I look forward to being there once more.  Hopefully many of the people we will see again, but who knows when we'll get back to East Lansing after this trip? Even though I've started to really be at home in Syracuse (I, too, now expect salt potatoes to be at every bbq), I intend to inhale as much of  East Lansing as possible.  

I also realized just how much I have to do between now and then - eek!

4 comments:

Nichole said...

I cannot WAIT to see you!

Amanda said...

I smiled reading your week in review. And am so excited that you get to have some time soaking in the old! Love you!

The MessyBlessyMomma said...

Have an amazing trip. Congrats to the Doctor :) Hope that you guys are safe, happy and healthy!!!! Sounds like you are all settled in!

Tashmica said...

I can't wait to actually see your face! I miss you tons :)