The girls and I signed up for taking refugee friends to the zoo, the team headed up by none other than Pam. True to form, this venture experienced a glitch, and the Burmese kids were not available until noon. So the girls and I joined the park-cleaning-up-crew for awhile, then headed over to the house where we were all meeting to pick up the kids. Pam and I had discussed ahead of time that I was taking a lady I'd met before and her absolutely adorable baby in my vehicle. When Pam was trying to get a little girl we'll call Sissie to go with another group member, I noticed Sissie was clinging tightly to Anna's hand and pointing to me. "No - I go with her!" Pam said, "Sissie, I know you know Tiffany, but you're riding with someone else." Sissie was making no sign of letting go of Anna's hand, and shook her head and pointed at me again. At this point, Anna looked Pam in the eye and spoke up, "Um, we're friends though." I think the two had literally met 10 minutes before, and Sissie's English isn't great. Pam laughed and said something like, "Now how can I split up such fast friends? Ok, Sissie, you go with Tiffany and I'll send (the lady with the baby) with someone else."
Our crew consisted of me and my kids, Sissie, Leah, another lady at church and her daughter that is Molly's friend, and 5 other little girls. It was a beautiful day, and the Burmese girls were super excited, as they had never been to a zoo before. We did the fastest complete tour of the zoo on record. I don't think I saw any animals - I was too busy counting little girls, peeling them off fences and herding them into the group.
The most amazing, wonderful thing about the day was the way my girls and Molly's friend completely took ownership of the experience. Molly & friend were wonderful being "big sisters" to the littler girls. They held hands with the little ones when they started to wander off, told them about the animals, and somehow managed to chat with them about all kinds of things. As for Anna, it was as if no language barrier existed at all. She was immediately part of the group of Burmese girls.
We discovered that our group had not eaten at all, so the other mom and I split the cost of lunches for the lot. You should have seen how cute it was - the American girls and the New American girls all eating and talking and laughing together. Anna and her table buddies were caught all dipping fries in the same cup of ketchup, even:(
Anna didn't want to go home, Sissie asked if we could do it again next week, and Molly declared that she had a great time. I was so impressed with my girls today, for being so loving and accepting and willing to jump in with both feet to a new experience.
Everyone met back at church for a celebration service (which me missed due to our last-minute-change of schedule) and potluck meal(which we didn't really eat, since my kids had just eaten). Pastor Linda caught me and told me that at a district meeting she had to give a report about her pastoral care ministry, and that she talked about Anna, the youngest member of her team. She talked about how there is no age limit on being a blessing in ministry - a five year old and an 80+ lady becoming dear friends being testament to that.
It only seems fitting that Jeff and I are officially becoming members at this church next Sunday. They are proving themselves to be family, and the kind of "village" we want to help bring up our children.
I would like to put on record that I actually walked through the enclosure with all the birds flying around free. Without freaking out or hyperventilating. It was a fast walk, and Molly had instructions to watch out for and swat away any birds that might attempt to land on my head. But, I assure you it can still be considered a miracle.
3 comments:
oh, tiff, what a glorious picture of heaven here on earth. "..all nations will come and worship before you, for your righteous acts have been revealed." (rev, 15:4b)
thank you for being a revelation of His glory! i am so proud to be a friend to you and your family!
This made me cry and miss you so much! What a lovely family of women (and Jeff) you are raising. Tell Anna to keep her heart open for one of my sons. Between the two of them they could take over the world and for once that kind of capture could be a good thing. LOL :)
What an amazing church home you've found--I love it, and the image of peeling little girls off the fence--priceless! What a special gift to you and all the families in your party.
Post a Comment