Saturday, June 5, 2010

Race Results

This morning I turned in what I believe was my worst 5K time on record.  (Except for one sweltering Fourth of July when I ran a non-chip timed 5K with my cousin Rebekah.  Which totally cracks me up now because she runs 5K's in less than 18 minutes in recent years and NO WAY could I keep up with her now!)  It wasn't as bad as I thought when I saw the chip time - 9:07 miles.  But technically, races where I turn in times with less than 9 minute miles are the ones I consider good ones.  

My best results:
1. Flying Pig Marathon Cincinnati, OH 2001: 3:47.  A marathon finished automatically qualifies as a good one.  This was also perhaps my best running accomplishment: I was 7 minutes off of qualifying for Boston.  Plus, it was a blast. 
2. Heart Mini Marathon 15K Cincinnati 2001:  1:11. A grueling, hilly course.  I got an honorable mention finish, and that race made me an officially ranked runner in Cincy that year.
3. Let's get to the post 30 years - much harder after the big 3-0 and another baby.  Capital City Half Marathon Lansing, MI 2007: 1:54.  I LOVED that race - maybe my favorite ever. Beautiful course.
4. Max's race 5K East Lansing, MI: 25:20.  I was ranked 3rd in my age group for that one.  

My worst results:
1. Run Thru Hell, 10 miles, Hell, MI 2007: 1:32.  Mike and Kristy came and ran it with Jeff and I. The race was hot, hilly, and you were lucky to get water.  Seriously.  And have you seen the shirt?  Ask me about it sometime.  Don't ask Jeff though - come to me for the real story:)
2.Galloping Gobbler 4 miler, Ft Wayne, IN 2008: 35:33.  I had a blast hanging out with Courtney, but I had a nasty chest cold plus 20 degree weather that made breathing extremely difficult. 
3.Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, DC 2009: 1:32.  Kristy is going to get a complex, but I PROMISE it has nothing to do with her!  The cherry blossoms were beautiful, the course was fun, but I felt TERRIBLE that morning - bad stomach cramps and dizziness. 
4. Paige's Butterfly Run 5K Syracuse, NY 2010: 28:19.  Uncharacteristically hot and muggy weather in Syracuse this morning.  I ran the whole thing right with Sharon, which was fun.  I've never run a whole race with somebody else before.  And oh the humble pie I ate - Sharon is 2 years younger than I, but she has a 7 month old baby.  When we do long runs on Saturdays, I never feel like I'm struggling to keep up with her.  Today - she waited for me.  I told her to go ahead, but she said, "No, no - I'm staying with you.  If I felt like I had a chance to be in the top 5 I'd go, but I don't, so I'm with you to the end."  
The pattern I just noticed: if I want to run a race fast, I must need the weird nervousness I get when I run alone to give me the adrenaline to run faster.  Or it's harder and harder as I get older - I have crossed into the older bracket now.  So the question is: is it better to run alone and turn in good times, or turn in times that are worse than training runs and have fun with friends?  

I guess it's where I am at.  Honestly, I knew I wasn't breaking any speed records today.  I was running because this race is in memory of a girl at our church who passed away from cancer at age 8, and it raises funds for kids in Syracuse with cancer and their families.  Our pastor urges the congregation to have a big turnout to support her parents who are part of our church family, and a worthy cause in the community.  A bunch of people from church signed up to do the fun run/walk after the 5K . It was fun to walk with my kids and friends from church.  It was fun to run with Sharon the whole way.  Life is busy at the moment, and I am not devoting lots of time or effort to training. There are other things I am spending those resources on: school, my kids' activities, the Center for New Americans, church, and new friendships.  I did the Cherry Blossom and Run Thru Hell specifically to have fun with my sister and brother-in-law, and I did the Thanksgiving race in Ft Wayne for the purpose of spending quality time with Courtney.  Part of the awesomeness of the Flying Pig was that there was a HUGE group of friends and family there to support me.  And the Half Marathon in Lansing - Jeff, the kids, Jamie and Glenn ran around Lansing too, trying to find spots to cheer me on, and then we all had a big brunch prepared by Jamie after.  

In reality, I am never going to win a race.  I will continue to get older and find it more difficult to get those times under the 9 minute mile mark, keep my weight in fighting range, and keep free of aches and pains.  But hopefully, I will continue to collect wonderful memories with friends and family, and stay in good enough shape to finish races for a long time to come. 

Half Marathon in September, anyone?  

7 comments:

Tashmica said...

1-2-3 NOT IT! I will walk with you anywhere though :)

Carly said...

what a great post, tiff!! If we lived closer, I'd do it.

Kristy said...

Just so you know - I'm not insulted that the races you have run with me have been your least favorite. Instead, I'm insulted that, just when I was feeling good about my running times, you slammed them all by publicly posting your "worst" times- which often out-rank my best. You should be thankful that God gives you the breath and health to run.

Tiffany said...

I am very thankful that I can run. Walk. Live. This blog is a record of my attempt at life. My attitudes are not always right. I struggle at times with being disappointed in myself, and later on realize my perspective was skewed. This post was more about how there are other more important things about running than race times, and I am sorry if it came off as anything that would insult anyone else.

Kristy said...

I was just bein' sarcastic, T and playfully knocking on my own times. Not actually trying to chastise you. You know I love you and think you're awesome!

Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany said...

I'm glad I didn't offend you, Kristy! Hey - how far is Baltimore from your apartment?