Tuesday, June 1, 2010

GOOOOOAAAAAAALLL!

Since 2006, there has been a standing promise to the Rozelle girls: if you get a goal in a soccer game, you will get taken out for an ice cream sundae immediately after the game. 

This promise was made by Dad, who agonizingly watched his tiny, blonde-ponytailed, daughter-playing-forward trot the ball all the way down to the goal only to turn around and look for a teammate to pass to.  Repeatedly. Over and over.  And so the promise was issued.

Anna, in her first game, scored a goal.  Maybe two.  She was taken out for ice cream afterward, and invited sis along.  She proceeded to score goals in every game that season, so the promise was modified to the first goal of the season, I believe.  Anna inherited all the aggressiveness that somehow skipped her sister.  She also benefitted from a few years of sitting on the sidelines of many, many of her sister's games.  Anna is very vocal on the field, often heard saying, "Great job, team!" or "Nice goal, woooohoo!" or "I am your TEAMMATE!  PASS it to me! Don't try to STEAL it from me!"

Molly is never heard yelling on the field.  She is never aggressive.  If someone much bigger is coming at her a little fiercely, she sidesteps.  She has pointed out to us that not being aggressive is not a bad quality at all, off the soccer field especially.  Smart-aleck sixth grader...

Saturday, I did not have a camera ready. The team has been terrible this season. I wasn't even really paying very close attention.  I was deep in conversation with another mom about how unaffordable college will be in 6 years.  And then it happened.  Molly scored a goal.
So this is a picture of the ice cream sundaes.  Yes, the cherry on top was that this goal was witnessed by Grandma and Grandpa.  

I could learn a lot from this kid of mine.  Showing up to practice, playing cheerfully for years, never having a goal to her name.  She never whined or complained, even when her sister snagged the sundae first.  I think about all the times I want the instant gratification. Immediate payoff. A tangible reward for my efforts. Some goals are years and years away, and the play time in between can be cold, rainy, bloody, and thankless. And I whine and complain. My daughter may not be aggressive, but she is far more of a warrior than her mother.  

She confessed that the goal on Saturday was the accidental result of what she thought was a pass to her star scorer teammate in perfect scoring position.  But this time, the celebration was for Molly.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Such a sweet girl, that Molly. Congrats to her!

Carly said...

sweet, sweet molly. a girl after my own heart (and my own lack of competitive bones)