Monday, November 22, 2010

Non-Contributors

If you didn't guess it already, Jeff and I are really nerdy.  While doing something perfectly Joe Average American, watching the Sunday night football game between the Giants and Eagles, Jeff flipped over to watch a session of the British Parliament's House of Commons on C-Span during commercials. 

 NPR is our most listened to radio station.  (Well, that and Pandora...) We even have our Ipods stocked with backlogs of This American Life.  PBS is our most watched station.  I wonder if Fios and its zillion channels will change that.

I try really hard not to listen to NPR or watch PBS because inevitably I get sucked into shows like I do a great novel.  Easily justifiable things that make me walk away feeling more cultured or smarter or aware, usually.  That's why they are so dangerous.  But also because I always feel so guilty for not participating in their funding drives.  We totally take advantage of public tv and public radio. It's shameful, really. I mean, is that any way to treat my favorite and most reliable babysitter, PBS Kids?! 

Tonight I got sucked into Isaiah Sheffer reading Percival Everett's short story "The Fix." It lasts a little less than half an hour, if you're looking for boredom relief on a commute or a little good listening during some mundane household chore.  It's not so fluffy that it's a waste of time, but not so heavy that it takes up much mental energy.  Just a little "hmmmm" and you're on your way. 

One of these days, Jeff and I will pay back our public television and radio debt.  For now, when I hear the deep voice croon from the living room that the just-watched program was made possible "with support from the Rose Hill Foundation" I just pretend it is really saying "The Rozelle Foundation."

1 comment:

The MessyBlessyMomma said...

So apparently I am a closeted nerd as my dial is set to NPR, and we also stack "This American Life" on the iPod to fall asleep to...oh and cable, what is that?