Molly had her first concert with the Syracuse Symphony Youth Orchestra today. My child is a real deal musician. If you don't feel like hearing me gush about her, you might want to exit now.
She's been so busy lately with homework, confirmation class, musical practice, school orchestra and private violin lessons. So this extra commitment was stealing away almost 4 hours of her Sunday afternoons, not to mention extra things to practice. It stretched her to the limits of her musical ability. It ain't cheap either.
Today I had to drop her off downtown to the Civic Center at a black door marked "artist's entrance." Very professional looking young people dressed in black and carrying stringed instruments were bustling in like it was their job. The security guard was making sure "musician's only" entered. No Moms tagging along.
We had to purchase rather expensive tickets at the box office. The Crouse-Hinds Theatre is a lovely venue with great acoustics, and the Syracuse Symphony Orchestra, the parent organization, plays there too, I believe. All the decorum of any symphony performance you would attend, with ushers only admitting people into the hall at breaks.
The kids were simply stunning. I cannot express to you how professionally this group of young people played and conducted themselves. The quality of the music was so high. Beautiful sound. Expertly performed. Simply lovely.
As Molly is just now embarking on young adulthood, it has been rare for me to sit in awe at her proficiency at anything. I know she's good at things and have certainly been proud of her. But tonight it dawned on me not only how accomplished she is at her craft, but how this is a world she belongs to that I just watch from the outside, with admiration. Glimpses of the future flashed through my mind, and I envisioned watching many more performances of my willowy blonde daughter dressed in black under stage lights at a concert hall, doing what she does.
We aren't always happy with choices our children make, but I like this world of symphonies and orchestras. I might spend a small fortune in concert tickets in my life time. I don't want to know the private lesson tally. Being the competitive mother who doesn't quite understand the way Moll plays for the love of music only, has promised her that if she is ever the principle violinist in any symphony she plays with, I will buy her any gorgeous black concert dress she wants. With an artist's air, she just peered at me through her glasses and sighed. She is needing a new violin, a good quality full size that I might have to forget all about volunteering to afford (patrons are welcome!) But when I sit and allow myself to appreciate her gift, I don't care about the cost.
So her next concerts with this orchestra are March 6 and May 15 if you must see to believe;) Always room at the Rozelle inn.
3 comments:
Is there goingto be a CD? Seriously?
Of the symphony? I don't know if they do that. Molly hates solos. She loves being a group contributor and part of a music community. Recitals terrify her. She has little interest in being the lead in a musical. She loves being part of the chorus. I would be surprised if there were ever a Molly solo CD. But if there is, there will be links to purchase it on this blog:)
I am so proud of her. And am seriously considering coming. March 6th is Mike's b-day, so I'm sure we'll stop by to celebrate with some cake. ;)
Post a Comment