There is a reason why politics and religion are taboo subjects in certain settings. I have experienced why several times over the last year. Some of you may know who I voted for (ssshhh don't tell) . If you know my religious doctrine, please fill me in:) But seriously, I hate how truly divisive these things can be.
So, let me say, I felt really good about America last night. I'm not a "my country right or wrong" person. But I thought Mc Cain's concession speech was moving and classy and I thought Obama's acceptance speech was gracious and inspiring. And the obvious - how exciting it was to see such a racial barrier smashed! No matter what my personal political views are, I was proud of America last night. I don't remember feeling so optimistic after election results ever - whether I voted for the winner or loser.
You put up with that so I should put in some amusing tidbits to reward you.
Annie came to the polls with me. She was SO good during the 45 minute wait. She elicited comments about how well-behaved she was from grandmas, and patiently sat through a grandpa's speech to her about how voting is our civic duty (I'm not sure how old he thought she was?)
"Mama - they like to see kids and shake their hands so they get their pictures taken, right?"
"Who honey?"
"Will they shake my hand?"
"Who, Annie?"
"The president."
"Annie, neither guy running for president will be here."
Later, as we were receiving our ballot, to the lady handing it to us:
"So, where is the President?"
She did do something unspeakably embarrassing, but I really can't print it here. I'm not sure if all the goodness she exhibited cancelled it out or not!
No comments:
Post a Comment