Saturday, November 15, 2008

What gave it away?

     We have a rule at dinner that you must take one bite of a new thing to get your dessert. The "new" thing tonight was sweet potato fries.  Molly liked hers, quickly ate all of her dinner, and was excused.  Anna was having a difficult time working up the nerve to try a sweet potato fry, despite the fact that there was a mound of sour cream beside the one inch long fry.  (Anna has been known to eat huge spoonfuls of sour cream plain).
     Anna went to the bathroom.  When she came back she announced, "I finished my sweet potato! I had it in my mouth when I went to the bathroom but now it's all gone,"  accompanied by a goofy grin and quick wipe-off of her tongue with her hand (what she does when she hates the taste of something).  Jeff and I tried hard to maintain parental composure.  We asked if she spit her sweet potato out in the bathroom.  "No!  No I didn't!"  She caved when we said we wouldn't be mad that she did spit it out, but we would be mad if we happened to find out she was not telling the truth.  She confessed in a very quiet voice, chin tucked, "I did.  I did spit my sweet potato in the toilet."  We thanked her for telling the truth and asked her not to spit things in the toilet, but to just tell us she didn't like them.  She then said loudly, "That thing tasted sour on my tongue!"  and wiped her tongue again with her hand.  

No comments: