I have never held that expectation for Anna. Reading isn't something I'm going to push on a kid before they are ready. Jeff has mentioned starting the book with her and has been met with resistance. Until recently.
Anna is intrigued with websites her sister can navigate such as Webkinz and American Girl. She needs Molly to help her, and Molly is not always available or willing.
Anna figured out that if she were able to read, she could navigate these websites on her own. So she and Jeff have a new "thing". They work on a reading lesson, then they play on Webkinz together for awhile. (Jeff is committed to literacy, isn't he?)
The biggest motivating factor for Anna: undivided, daily attention from Dad. He spends 15 minutes of quality time with her - she's his girl.
This is what I call a win-win situation for Jeff, minus the Webkinz part.
No comments:
Post a Comment