All the physicians in the practice we go to do not have my equal, unwavering trust. But the one we saw today who is the girls' actual pediatrician does. So if she makes a request, I try to meet it. She mentioned how important it is for Anna to get regular physical exercise and have limited "time in front of a screen". Of course, she also read off her usual list that included needing smoke detectors in the home and so on, but I know which area Mama would get a "needs improvement" in. Michigan winter, no more Y membership, no big basement to run around in, and a daughter who loves TV...
Also at Kroger were some exercise DVD's from The Firm. (Apparently now I'm shameless about breaking copyright laws). "Cardio Dance Slimdown" caught my eye. I glance at Anna - knowing she would get up off that couch to dance like Gabriella and Sharpay. Bought.
Tonight we did 45 solid minutes of hip-hop, latin dance, and disco. (Anna has never made it through even 5 consecutive minutes of Elmosize actually exercising. "I'll just watch you now", she would tell me or Molly.) She LOVED it. "This is the most fun I've ever had in my LIFE, Mama!" Throughout she was calling out to me which character I was supposed to be at the moment. Whatever - you have no idea how hard I was concentrating on learning those dances. "Mama, we were pretty bad at it, but we'll get better every time." She wants to dance every day -just her and I. I agree. No one else is EVER allowed to see us - until we're pros, of course. My husband might hang me when he finds out I introduced my fast child to something that mentions "showing off this move at the club." So this is my method of telling him. When he's away and missing us and checking the blog to catch up with what we're doing. Just trying to be a good mom.
2 comments:
This brings me much joy! I love to imagine you and Anna dancing around the living room. I can see Anna's hair flying while your face is furrowed in deep concentration.
Some day, Anna will be in college, dancing at clubs and telling funny stories about how she and her mom used to do those moves in the living room...
I think I need to get that video!
Post a Comment