Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tales from the Fifth Grade

What a wealth of writing material fifth graders are...

Story #1  Crazy Hair Day... but not Too Crazy

Molly upon coming in the door yesterday after school: "Hi Mom.  Tomorrow is crazy hair day.  Can I dye my hair?"
Me: "No.  Why don't you put it up in a bunch of sticking up ponytails all over your head?"
Molly: "Noooo - So and So is doing that.  Besides, that's what Grandma did to my hair last year on crazy hair day when you were at Joshua Tree."
So the matter dropped and came up this morning again in the get-ready-for-school rush.  We made an amazingly hasty and coordinated decision to make it really curly.  After the hot rollers were all in, I suggested that she keep the curlers in.  That's crazy, right?  She giggled and Annie guffawed and we hopped in the car, a cheerful and carefree crew.

As I pulled up in the drop-off circle, panic started oozing out of the backseat.
Molly: "Mom! Do you see any other girls with crazy hair?  Mom! NOBODY has crazy hair!!"
Me:  "Oh yeah - look - crazy ponytails all over so and so and so and so's heads." (May I take this moment to point out that I saw about 10 girls with the crazy ponytail do?) "And that boy striped his hair green and that one - wow! went all out and got a mohawk."
Molly: "Mom! Who cares what the boys did!  I gotta get these curlers out! I can't wear them!"
The air in that car was supercharged.  So I told her to come around to the driver's door and I would get them out.  So while the other mom's in irritated fashion pulled around me (whatever, they're usually breaking the drop off rules, not me) Molly bent her head over and I yanked curlers out as fast as I could.  So she ended up having crazy curls at first that settled down and just looked like she stepped out of a Clairol ad when I picked her up.

Story#2 Presidential Qualifications from a Fifth Grade Point of View

Tonight we went to Molly's parent teacher conference.  As we waited in the hallway ('cause these things are ALWAYS running behind schedule), we were examining all the creations and work adorning the walls.  On a long banner, the kids had written their criteria for becoming president.  For some reason, I am so fascinated about what kids think about things like this, and thought I'd share. Here are some of the things written on the banner:

-Must be married
-Must have at least one kid
-Must be over 70
-Must be under 95
-Must have attended church at least 2 times (a la Sam the American Eagle?)
-Every other election there must be a woman elected
-Must know all fifty states
-Must be able to recite the pledge of allegiance by heart
-Must not be a racist
-Must respect the oath of office (that was my kid's)
-Must tell the truth
-Must not want to be the president just because they want to be popular
-Must be an environmentalist
-Must be fluent in at least one other language
-Must not have a criminal record: one speeding ticket allowed (my personal favorite)

Kids are great!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

must respect the oath of office?!!? seriously, that kid is a genius! has jeff been doing those quizes again?

Amanda said...

Seriously...way to go Molly! You should be so proud!

Kristy said...

Yes, Molly is impressive. But the list in total was quite amusing!