Sunday, March 1, 2009

Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth

This is not uncommon to parenting, but for some reason it always takes me by surprise when I hear one of my kids using one of the words or sayings I use - the ones it didn't occur to me they would attempt to use.  Lately Anna says, "What the heck?"  and "Oh crap!"  often.  Jeff and Molly have made me aware that these are things I say quite a bit.  They sound kind of alarming coming out of the mouth of a four year old.

Even more amazing to me is the way Molly has picked up on my sarcasm.  This is NOT a good thing when she wields it in disrespect when she's being reprimanded or asked to do something she doesn't want to do.  Last night, I spend a lot of time just hanging out with the girls talking and goofing around and I noted that Molly uses lots of sarcasm in her humor too.  When I get to see her being the person she's becoming, I really enjoy her company. 

Just one of those weird perks that comes with parenting I guess. You get to be entertained by people who have acquired your sense of humor:)

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

OMG! So true. Do you know how much more true it is with a kid with auism? Alex basically started speaking in phrases I used a lot when he couldn't put 2- or more word constructions together. You've reminded me that I want to keep a list of his duplicated phrases for a future essay.