The house is too big for just Jeff and I. It is meant to have children in it. So we were really looking forward to having the girls here after a week of visiting with family in Ohio. They declared several times how they were wanting to see their new house.
Perhaps the extra long time in the car and late hour had something to do with what transpired. Or maybe it would've transpired anyway. (Jeff wanted to take the scenic route after too many hours on the thruway and too many tolls, which amounted to extra time in the car. That and Anna deciding to make a fast food stop not so fast.) They eagerly were given a tour by Dad. They were excited to check it all out. Anna even commented on how beautiful several things were.
Then Molly dissolved into tears. "I rather like the new house, but it's not my house!" Anna's tears came when she saw the picture of her and Molly with Violet the dog. In five minutes they were proclaiming their dislike for New York in general.
So Jeff and I stayed with them while they fell asleep and rubbed their backs and tried giving assurance that was not readily accepted. Poor kids. Maybe tomorrow they'll feel better after getting to play in their playhouse in the woods? Maybe it will take a long time. I think this week I'm definitely going to have to modify my plans to incorporate lots of time for extra TLC for them.
3 comments:
Oh, that's sad. You know how everything looks better in the morning; hopefully that will apply here!
you're such a great mom... keep up the good work!
If you're lonely, I could get Alex and Jorie on the next plane to New York. Just say the word.
Post a Comment