Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Other New-to -Us Things

It is quite obvious by now that we are encountering all kinds of things new to us these days. New car, new house, new state, etc.
We visited our neighborhood library today which we could walk to quite easily but would have to walk a mile straight uphill home from. Cincy people - bigger than Ravine St, etc. Above, we have pictured Anna's first library card and her certificate. That is Anna's name in her writing on the card, and it is indeed in English characters.
So that's our deck rail and those are deer madly eating berries off our overgrown bushes. Mama deer brought two babies with her and had they let us we could've reached over the rail and pet them. In Clifton Heights, this would be unheard of. Possums, maybe, but not deer. In Michigan, I did see plenty of deer on our street, but we didn't have our own secluded yard. While this is fun now, I might be tempted in the future to sic our future dog on them if they decide to help themselves to our future vegetable garden.
And this, is the new and improved kitchen. I like it better than the lavender cabinets and multi-colored white walls, don't you? And there on the counter, between the stove and the toaster - milk in a glass bottle. I thought you'd think I'd officially left my mind in Michigan if I posted a close-up picture of a glass bottle of milk on my blog. As I've blogged about before, I am a firm believer in drinking things from glass, not plastic. Plus, how green is this? You take the bottle back and get 50 cents off your next bottle. They sterilize and reuse the bottles. It's a local dairy that's been operating forever and they don't use any growth hormones on their animals. Jeff is slightly irritated with this too. We can get a gallon of milk in a plastic jug for this price (which is cheaper than a half gallon in Michigan or Ohio, believe it or not) at the grocery. But again, we have a lot of making up to do for our expanding carbon footprint. Jeff thinks we have a lot to do to make up for the budget kick from New York sales tax, property tax, and tax on every single possible thing they can think to tax. But milk in a glass bottle - my final argument is that it makes me think of my Grandma and Grandpa Weldt who always had milk in a glass bottle and are no longer with us. Boom!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

LOVE the new kitchen look! And the new car! And the new camera? Or still Molly's? Looking forward to the Botox photos. :)