Monday, September 21, 2009

As The Preschool Turns

It's second full day of preschool, and I am stopped in the hall after dropping Anna off.  

"My son LOVES Anna.  All I hear about is Anna, Anna, Anna!  I asked him if he made other friends and he said, 'No, Anna is my friend.'"

I smiled and commented on how cute that was, maybe we should meet at the park next week, all the while thinking of broken hearts in Michigan.  One of Anna' past buddies, his mom told me, almost cried his first day of kindergarten when he discovered she wouldn't be there! Another mom told me that her daughter thinks she and Anna will be best friends.  I just hope, and I'm pretty sure she does, that Anna has a big enough heart to encompass all the little people who love her.  

We are also starting a carpool arrangement with another little girl.  Anna overheard me setting things up with the other mom by phone.  When I got off the phone, I went to explain to Anna that this mom would take her to school, and I would bring Anna and the little girl home.  Anna said, "Great!  How long will she be here to play?!"  It took at least 5 times for me to explain that this is not a play date arrangement, and I still think she's holding out hope that I'm mistaken.  

Despite my ridiculously, and by ridiculous I mean how could I have been so dumb to take this many classes, busy schedule, I could not resist signing up for a preschool volunteer position: "Author's Assistant."  The job description is that I take dictation from the kids about their pictures.  The only thing that could make that more enjoyable for me would be getting paid to do it.  I'm sure I'll have some good quotes to share.

No comments: