Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Keeper?


Why do the littlest beings require the most energy?  It' s a good thing they're cute, because otherwise they might be left to perish.  And our shih-tzu, who was in ancient times bred to be a royal, pampered pet, would most certainly perish if left on the streets.

The downsides of Biscuit:  Biggest is that he barks all night long in his kennel.  All night. No joke.  For a week.  People say it takes about a week.  Um, no progress.  I think he's getting worse.  Last night, every time I pulled out an earplug to listen he was at it.  No, I don't want to hire a behavior specialist.  He's a dog - other people's dogs get over it!  Yes, I've tried the blanket.  Yes, we leave the door open all day and put treats and toys in and try to make it positive.  But he cannot be out of his kennel alone.  He chewed his previous owner's furniture.  No, he can't be in the bedrooms - Jeff and Moll have allergies and we have been firmly instructed that they need to sleep without him.  No, I don't want to sleep with the dog and not Jeff.  Anna and Molly sleep in the same room.  There would be a major eruption if Molly had to sleep by herself while Anna got to have the dog in her room if I split them.  He is also a dustmop.  He picks up everything on his belly. I have to practically bathe him every time he comes in.  My floors are considerably dirtier and of course I have to clean more often because of the allergies.  He is showing territorial tendencies, which I guess means he feels at home, but means more training. I think he's going to need more socialization with other dogs.  

But my girls are happy.  We've met so many more neighbors.  A dog is like a neighbor magnet.  I think I'm spending more quality time with the kids.  We go on more walks together with the dog and have nice conversations, we sit around and play with him and pet him together.  They really have taken responsibility for him in their limited way.  (I don't expect them to do loads of dog laundry and wash floors.  They swiffer, brush him, walk him, clean up after him and work with him on commands.) He actually makes me feel a little more confident that he'd protect us  (although I had an incident with the poor neighbor kid coming through the hedge.  The neighbor boys and I worked with Biscuit afterward for half an hour or so on submitting to them and getting to know them as "welcome".  Now he runs to the hedge like, "Where are those boys with treats for me?!")  He did know the deer were in the vicinity before I did this morning and barked and scared them.  He's decided he's bigger than rabbits and squirrels and chases them too now.  So maybe my garden will stand a chance next summer.  He really is cute and sweet and I love having a dog lying by my feet while studying or watching a movie (more of the former lately, unfortunately).  He has not had a single accident, and is pretty good at obeying, really.  He is not wild and hyper.  And he doesn't shed as far as I can tell.  There's more hair in my brush after brushing my hair than in his after we brush him.

In the end, I think the benefits outweigh the cost, which is why people have been keeping dogs around for so many years.  If Jeff and Molly can survive him, and if Biscuit manages to stop barking all night, we might manage to keep one too.  

2 comments:

The MessyBlessyMomma said...

Sounds pretty great minus the allergies and barking...should we consider one? A dog that is.

Tiffany said...

No - especially with a puppy, I would wait until your kids were older. Simone is probably just old enough to be firm enough with not jumping, nipping, etc - but not Cecily.