Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Next Mia Hamm?

This pose captures it all.

First, I must explain that our camera came back this week with a note from the company explaining it is not fixable. So we'll be relying on Molly a little longer. She didn't feel like taking many pictures of her sister adorably adorned in soccer get-up, to my chagrin.

Anna is a veteran around soccer. This is Molly's 4th season, so Anna knows the ropes. She knows what to do; she's done her fair share of kicking the ball around, including playing pick-up around the goalie during the big girls' practice. She knows about passing to teammates (none of her peers did today), not using hands, how to throw-in, etc. As we drove up she was moaning, "Oh I'm so nervous about this game. We haven't even practiced!"

Today was the cutest thing I ever saw. The high school girls who ran it were so enthusiastic, patient, and good teachers. They started out with "drills" and "warm-up", played a little soccer-like game to ease them in, then a little scrimmage. Nan applied herself to the practicing with gusto, as did several of the others. She was very smiley and energetic. She did so well. We were so proud. Not just because she will obviously be a pretty good player and we were glad to see that she applied maximum effort, not something she's always known to do. (She drained her water bottle and had a flushed face. Normally this only happens when she has a fever.)

When a teammate scored a goal she would pat them on the back and say, "Nice job!" When someone fell she would be concerned (until the 10th time, and I'm not exaggerating, this one girl "fell down" and Anna caught on to the obvious drama). At the end she was going around trying to high-five her teammates with a "Good game, guys!" Not only did this make her look light years ahead socially, it reassured her dad and I that even though she is competitive, she will still be a kind, positive girl.


2 comments:

Kristy said...

Oh, I would SOOOO love to see this! How fun!

The MessyBlessyMomma said...

Yeah for Anna! Looks like you have an athlete on your hands!!!!