Thursday, October 14, 2010

Help with the Morning Joe, Please

Not that guy on MSNBC. There's no help for him.

The Rozelles must lay to rest the Melitta Mill and Brew circa 2003 that has served them so well. We loved it. So much that we overworked it. This model is no longer made. Other people loved it well and rated it highly. Melitta's new model, not so much. Cuisinart doesn't get such hot reviews either, and it's $199.

So I need some feedback. Mike Traylor? Brandon Lecrone? Carly Shellhammer? Courtney Dressler? I need some serious coffee drinking households to weigh in on coffee makers and grinders.

Requirements:

1. We like our coffee fresh ground.
2. We need something industrial grade. We drink troughs of coffee. No one-cup models. When we entertain, we brew coffee. Our most frequent out of town guests are my dad and Mike Traylor: we will brew 3 full pots on those mornings and maybe one later on.
3. An actual coffee maker, not french press.

Jeff says "under $100" but I'm not sure he's being realistic for both a grinder and maker. But, he is the wheeler and dealer:)

The Rozelle's caffeine addiction awaits your answer;)

5 comments:

Carly said...

Zojirushi... the caraffe (sp?) model is what I bought recently. It got good reviews and ratings (I think courtney MIGHT have helped me out with the ratings from consumer reports, maybe?).

it is not a grind and brew. I have a conical grinder that I love, capresso. I grind, then brew :)

helps??

I guess the only negative about the maker is that the base is really light, so removing and replacing the pot isn't so smooth. And, the filters (I use paper still) are a little tall. Neither bothers me so much, thought I'd mention it. The reviews did mention the filter height issue and had recommendations for the reusable filters, that many people used so something does fit.

good luck and happy shopping!

The MessyBlessyMomma said...

You are right on the "no one cup". Last Christmas I got the Keurig...however I spend about $20.00 a month on coffee making just one cup at a time :)

Kristy said...

My thoughts... (this is Mike, not Kristy) I know that the grind 'n brew is nice because you can program it and the coffee is ready when you wake up. However... I believe that if you are going to make the investment, go all out. Burr grinder is supposed to be the best. Approx. $50. I don't have a recommendation for the brand on that. I love my Cuisinart coffee maker. $100 I have a new one with the thermal carafe. It is not a grind 'n brew. Whatever brand you get I suggest the thermal carafe. The coffee never burns or gets stale. Fantastic! I also recommend a maker that does not require paper filters. I have had the wire mesh filter (I'm not sure of the proper term... gold something?) and love it. The paper filter takes the full flavor out, in my opinion. :-)

Have fun shopping!

Tiffany said...

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! Jeff went out last night and bought a Cuisinart grind n brew DGB 625 for under $100. I think cost was the most important thing for him. He feels as though we are too rough on coffee makers to spend more, even though he was super tempted to get a Thermovox ($279 for the maker alone!)He also wants the ease of fresh ground coffee without the hassle. (Even though I'm usually the one up making the coffee?) It does not have the Burr grinder (that grind n brew model was twice as expensive and got worse ratings), nor does it have the thermal carafe (ATK rated those way lower?) But it has the option to use a permanent filter or paper (our Melitta had a permanent filter so we probably will stick with that).

This morning's analysis:
Programmable - it brewed itself this morning. I haven't been able to do that in awhile b/c the Melitta's latch was broken and you had to prop a coffee mug on top or something. The grinder was LOUD LOUD LOUD. Coffee seemed fine to me. Jeff said it tasted slightly burnt. I think Jeff has been reading too many reviews and somewhere in his black coffee heart wishes he would've bought the Thermovox;)

brandon said...

Alas, I missed the comment period it appears! Well, not that big of a deal, as we have seriously cut back on our coffee consumption when we realized we were spending upwards of $50 per month on coffee beans! We actually went to a Chemex coffee maker (hourglass-shaped glass carafe where the cone filter sits on top and you manually pour water over the grounds). Certainly not self-making, ready-when-you-wake-up, but it makes great tasting coffee, is super easy to clean, and no plastic parts to absorb (and forever retain) the coffee oils.