Sunday, October 10, 2010

When Mom's Away

This weekend, I flew to Tennessee to attend my cousin's wedding.  It was a beautiful occasion.  She was lovely. She and her groom are so sweet and happy.  She was married on top of a mountain in the Smokies with an amazing panoramic view and under the bluest of skies.  It was fun to see my family and hang out with them.  

When I say with my family, I mean my extended family.  My own little family was back in Syracuse on their own this weekend.  So while I got to do a few super fun things I never get to do, like hike around the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and eat lunch out with my sisters and mom, they were holding down the fort. 

I received reports about all the fun things they were doing.  Eating out, adventure golf, a little hiking of their own.  That Daddy: he's a really fun guy. 

He admitted that no baths were had until this morning, and that there may not have been very many vegetables eaten all weekend.  The MSU game was watched (and I might add their win celebrated) in the living room with Geno's pizza rolls.  A Cinderella dress and a Belle dress were Anna's outfits out and about this weekend, and when they picked me up at the airport, Anna was wearing a sundress.  Molly's lunch box is as it was when she brought it home Friday. Jeff also confessed that he barely got any of his own work done, and that when he kept not sending a colleague something he was promising her, he told her that he just didn't know how single parents did it.  I think he meant to add he didn't know how stay at home moms got any school work done either.

They also proudly told me that they dust-mopped the floors, wiped down the bathrooms, and cleaned up the girls' room.  Jeff did a load of laundry (I haven't had the heart to look in the dryer yet, where the clothes still are).  

I am proud of them.  They did a great job, their style. Just like I benefit from a little time away, they benefit from a little time with me away (except maybe Biscuit, who I believe was not fed as much as usual).  They may not have crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's the way I do, but who cares? They did a great job.  

No comments: