Monday, October 18, 2010

I Can't Do This

There have been times as a parent when the soundtrack running through my mind while I deal with the child in front of me is "I can't do this. I can't do this." I heard this clearly and plainly as my three year old had us sequestered in a bookstore bathroom while throwing the Fit to End All Fits (it worked out just like the War to End All Wars did). I distinctly remember thinking it while trying to get my crying 5th grader in to school long after the morning bell had rung. It's as if everything grinds to slo-mo and the most distinct thing I can hear momentarily is "I can't do this. I can't do this." It solidifies those moments in time when I'm just not sure I'm going to make it through. Maybe it functions as a mental time out: a strange coping mechanism that doesn't actually feel as if it's helping me cope better.

This morning Anna took her first skating lesson. I think the 12 dollars I paid for the 6 weeks is a bargain. Not only can Anna stand up on her own (I never thought to teach this first: I've always dragged the kids out by the hand and supported them with an arm while they flail around the ice), she can totter/skate around unaided too. And for the same price I'd pay for a movie ticket, I am far more entertained. 3/4 of the class are little guys learning to play hockey, and if you took off all the padding and such that they were wearing and stacked it next to them, the pile would be bigger than they are. The kids look like weeble wobbles. They all grab on to one another for support and knock each other over like dominoes. And get back up, and do it again. Anna got wise to this and tried really hard to skate away from everyone else. The point is, she loved her skating teacher, loved the whole experience, and can't wait until next week. It was a totally enjoyable and stress-free morning.

And then she started crying on the way home. About school.

I won't bore you with all the details of our conversation. The gist of it was that Anna is convinced her teacher doesn't like her and she doesn't want to go to school. Each day it becomes more apparent that I am totally inept at helping her through this.

Maybe this is a paradox. When I admit to myself that I can't, it is the first step to being able to. I vaguely remember that the "I can't do this" moments were also the rock bottom moments. After that, the only way to go was up and out. Not that I have been proud of the way all of the other "I can't do this" experiences ended. I think Anna exhausted herself on the bottom of the restroom floor in Schuler Books after scaring away several older women who forgot that attempting to reason with an unknown, fit-throwing three year old is as good of an idea as climbing in a cage with a hungry lion. Molly eventually just went to school without crying again. Things popped up, went away, and for a time left me exhausted and good for nothing in their wake. I don't know that I helped my children learn and grow through those experiences, and even worse, I don't know that I didn't damage their psyche in the meantime either.

Dear Molly and Anna, please stay close all of your lives so that you can save thousands of dollars by just talking to one another about your mother instead of to an expensive therapist. Everyone else, I hope you aren't expecting anything out of me for awhile except a mess.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I've heard that same phrase in my own head, too. Hopefully you're on your way up and out. Your kids know you love them. That is something huge. And it's OK to be a mess. I love you.

Nichole said...

I don't have any fabulous words of advice to fix what's going on but I do know that your a great Mom! Your girls are lucky to have such a wise and caring Mom. Yes, you are wise! It's the thing I miss that most about having you in my day to day life! Wish I could give a you a great big hug, and a cup of coffee. Chin up my friend it WILL get better. Love you!

Kristy said...

Love you, Tiff!

The MessyBlessyMomma said...

Oh Tiffany, I am so sorry. So sorry for you, and sorry for poor Anna. Just the other day I commented that though Simone wasn't learning anything in school, I could fix that but I couldn't fix it if she didn't love her teacher, and that she does. I wish Anna felt the same. I had the same K experience and have to say its stuck with me. Bunny Burgess kept me in at lunch the first day for not raising my hand. Its so hard. What I will say is as a teacher, my mom couldn't fix it, and I ended up okay (or mostly okay). You are a wonderful mother who gives so much to so many of us, and we just get in peripherially. Anna and Molly are blessed to have you as momma. Keep your chin up. If you are a mess, than a mess I would like to be.

Tiffany said...

Thank you so much, friends (and sister!) for your love and support and kind words.

I just was reading in "crazy love" (Francis Chan) that we really have no idea how much God loves us, and that he (the author) had a much better understanding of God's love once his first daughter was born. My mind naturally went to the struggles little Anna is having right now, and it brought tears to my eyes, thinking that God loves her (and me) even more. His heart aches when she hurts, and He wants good things for her too. I should remember that more often.