Yesterday, when I was shoveling 6 inches of snow off of my driveway, I heard and then saw a robin flitting around in confusion. I had noticed him a few hours earlier through the window, when the surface of everything had definitely crossed the line to being completely white. His chirping almost seemed angry. He was hopping on places I'd cleared, and it was as if he was incessantly chattering, "What happened? I thought it was spring! Can you believe this?"
It was the kind of snow that in December we would call a beautiful Christmas snow. None of us neighbors could bring ourselves to converse. We kind of half-waved at one another, not at all inspired to small talk about the weather. Maybe we were all holding out hope that this was an aberration. Perhaps if we ignored this weather event, it would just go away.
Nope. Too cold. Our world is still white this morning.
We know better than this. All March, Central New Yorkers remind themselves that Spring is not a promise in this month in this place. There are few among us, though, who can actually prevent our hearts from soaring with hope when sunshine pours in our windows and the smell of the ground greets us when we open our doors. Today, we bundle back up in our winter coats and state of mind.
4 comments:
Delays here two days in a row. We're white as well :(
So, I'm just a little jealous of your temperate summers, devoid of the humidity of the 'Nati. But I couldn't handle all that snow!!! I'll remember this post when I'm sweating at 9am in August. :)
177 inches for the season. And NOW I get your facebook comment, A! We'll still be bundling for a good month ;)
A- I'll be sweating at 4am... but on the flip side, I don't miss much of anything about MN winters (except the company of good friends).
That is certainly alot of snow, Tiff.
Running yesterday in shorts was nice but I'm not sure how I'll run in July!! Back to the treadmill??
Post a Comment