Friday, August 5, 2011

Girlz Not in the Hood

One in awhile it dawns on me that Molly and Anna, at age 6, in some ways, had very different existences. 

I heard Anna say to Molly as they were drawing "welcome" messages for Aunt Kelly & Co. on the driveway with chalk:

"Hey, Molly - why don't you write Collin's name, you know, in that bubble kind of writing - oh, what's it called? The kind on train cars?"

Molly, characteristically matter-of fact: "Graffiti."

"Oh - that's what it's called? Do that. It will look really cool."

Molly knew exactly what graffiti was at age 6.  There was an overabundance of it in our neighborhood.  Life was full of object lessons for her, though.  She knew what panhandling was too. And that if you get really drunk and destroy property that people like her dad will call the cops on you.  I think Molly's early life lessons have made her more cautious and responsible.

I thought I was getting Anna into the hood enough, but I guess not;) Let's hope she's not headed towards being a drunk and disorderly, panhandling graffiti artist.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Anna was born urban. She's got it in her somewhere, right?! In a good way! Not the drunk panhandling graffiti artist kind of way. :)