Friday, August 12, 2011

Museum Day

We packed the week full of as much fun as we could.  Saturday looked to be very rainy, so we decided it was a good day to head to Cooperstown.  My sister's family is REALLY into baseball.  My husband, a big Reds fan who, while disenchanted with modern pro baseball and the taint of steroids, is quite in love with the game itself.  And all that history and memorabilia. So the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum was a great choice for an outing. 

Cooperstown is a beautiful old town, but it was really too rainy to stand around getting pictures of it. There were LOTS of pictures taken inside the museum; I'll try to be selective.
This picture made Jeff decide he wants to collect umpiring artwork.  He loved this piece.  Loved it.  If you have a lot of money and want to give Jeff a special gift, this is it. It's called Rhubarb by Vincent Civiletti  and was a 1955 cover of Coronet magazine.

The caption of this photo identified these guys as the undefeated Cincinnati Redstockings of 1869.  Reds fans take hope and glory however they can get it.

Jeff and Moll in their Reds apparel by the Cincy locker in the "modern" era wing.  Griffey's last home run bat is in there, I think.  One of his important bats - I forget.  I looked at a lot of bats, people.  A lot of Griffey's bats, in different lockers. 

Jeff remembers stories about his parents attending the Fort Wayne women's team games in their childhood.  So we took some pictures of Daisies' memorabilia for them.

Moll took LOTS of pictures in the women's baseball wing.  That post belongs to my other blog:) Let's just say, I love the way my daughters' minds work:)
Anna doesn't know or care much about baseball, but she knows Jackie Robinson.  She wanted to see his display.  Again, I love the way my daughters' minds work.
Something Anna did NOT want to see.  She spent a lot of time, in the stadium exhibit, hiding from the Phillie Phanatic.

Anna has decided she is a Yankees fan.  There was an unfair amount of space devoted to the Yankees in this museum, coupled with the fact that for 2 years Anna has been surrounded by Yankees fans.  Her dad does not like the way her mind is working in this direction.  But for some unknown reason, Uncle Jeremy is a Yankees fan, and did nothing to discourage a new Yankees fan in the family.
Just a shot of the Hall of Fame.

The plaques of the first inductees, the old greats.

This shot was for Jeff.  A solid piece of his childhood was spent listening to Marty broadcasting Reds games on the radio, often while little Jeff was falling asleep at night. 

Worth a visit, baseball fans. 

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I loved all of these. And the comment about looking at a lot of bats. :) And that the Rozelles represented with their Reds gear! Anna, however, needs a talking to. Brian will get on his soapbox and shout down at her about those Yankees! I mean, I appreciate their history. But that's as far as it should go. :)

Tiffany said...

Don't worry, she will get a talking to: no one hates the Yankees more than Anna's father:)