Friday, December 12, 2008

The Fast One

     Anna got in the car after preschool and was chattering about her day.  My ears perked at the phrase "my boyfriend".  "Since when is he your boyfriend?" I ask.  "Since Halloween, Mom!"
     See, Molly is very shy about boy stuff.  We had a discussion the other day about how in fifth grade it's pointless to let a boy know you have a crush on him because it will just ruin your friendship and make everything weird and everyone will tease, etc.  
     So Jeff and I casually asked Anna about the boyfriend situation over lunch.  "Who asked - you or him?" 
     "Me!" she acted shocked that it would possibly be the other way around.  "I said, 'Do you want to be my boyfriend?' And he said 'Yes! I would really like you to be my girlfriend.'"  
     Jeff said, "Which one is he?  The one who can read and count to a thousand?"
     "No, Dad, that's (so and so).  And he reads the NEWSPAPER!"
     "The newspaper?" Jeff replied,"Well, he's the one you should have as a boyfriend."
     "Nice, Jeff," I mutter.
     "Annie, that boy is going to be really successful," he continued.
    "What about marrying Xander?" me, all ready desperately grasping for control in this type of situation.
     "Oh, I'm marrying Xander, Mom." Anna assures me, all confidence. "___ is just my boyfriend."
      Good grief! Get out while the going's good, Xander!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Your stories about Annie are the best! Jeff's newspaper comment was pretty good too! :)