This is the day of Dr. Jeffrey J. Rozelle's successful dissertation defense. He received smashing reviews. None of us are surprised, are we? People who snag professorships at research 1 universities in a sluggish job market before they are officially a Phd ... did we have any doubts?
However, who has talked to Jeff since he turned that dissertation in on Christmas Eve? I bet that if you talked to him for longer than half an hour you heard him speak of law school. Something about "I shoulda been a Supreme Court Justice..." Which is not at all convincing to a wife who just put her family's progress on hold for four years of grad school, not to mention is working on her own lone college degree. Besides, he can't even say this in a convincing old New York smoker kind of voice. If he could do this, perhaps I would at least listen. He has tried to convince both Courtney Dressler and my sister Kristy to go to law school with him ... because he thinks that entangling two of my favorite friends in such a demanding engagement would make me more likely to think this is a good idea?
He informed me that he is perfecting things tomorrow. Not because the committee requires it. They don't. He doesn't need to change a thing. He was passed. Not passed with major revisions. But he's revising. He also has engagements lined up until kingdom come. Trip here, seminar there. "I need to do___." "It would be good thing professionally if I did ___."
No, this man will not have any more time than he did in grad school. I am betting on less. He will get his big grants. He will publish his articles. He will travel the world. He will constantly change his research focus. He will have a car with a broken side mirror. He will forget people's names and where he left his keys. He will never remember which drawer the bottle opener is in. He will always be happy to explain a Buckyball or to discuss Lev Vgotsky's Social Learning Theory. He will forever dress in plaid button down shirts and khakis. He will always be deeply good and kind, no matter how accomplished he gets. He will never let anyone seriously call him "Dr."
He might let you call him "Your Honor", however, if that day ever comes.
4 comments:
Sincerest congratulations to all of you. I know it's not the same kind of work as the student has, but it's still a lot of work to be the wife of that PhD student, so good job to you as well. :) Love you!
Very sincerely, thank you, dear Amanda!
I love this title - quite clever. And I've already shared with my pod-mates at IJM that it was tried over Christmas to convince me to go to law school, and they agree that I would be a good lawyer. However, it doesn't sound appealing at the moment. But if being a Supreme Court justice would put us both in the District, I might consider it. :)
I love you Tiff:) So witty. I have an amazing husband that could pass as a double of the absent minded professor himself. But we love them don't we. Then we find the ketchup for them, too.
Post a Comment