Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Look! The Sun!

 

 The screensaver on my Macbook is the Adirondacks Fall Rainbow picture, because if you for some reason happen to remember, it symbolizes hope and promise for me.  Particularly in this new place. 


 Today I met someone I think will be a real friend.  She and her daughter came over for a play date and lunch before the girls went to school.  I really liked her.  I have met other people I liked, been on other outings that were nice, but you can kind of tell when you make a lasting connection.  I felt at home with her, not like I was trying to mind my p's and q's.  She's a life long resident of our town - she went to the elementary school Annie and her daughter will attend (who, for the record, played really well together, lost in imagination land).          

                   

 As we talked, she kept saying things like "You were so lucky to get this house - it's great! How did you find it, being from out of town?  It must have been meant to be." (Yes, insert the Italian-American New York accent).  "You got this dog at a shelter? Do you know how lucky you are to find a dog like this at a shelter? It must have been meant to be." "Your husband got the job at SU before he had his Phd? You know you it was meant to be, right?"

 

 As she talked, it dawned on me that, you know, it was meant to be.  The stars aligned, so to speak. When I turned on my computer tonight to do schoolwork, of course;) the picture popped up and I smiled.  The sun is peeking out from behind the clouds, as promised.  I can feel our roots starting to nestle into this soil.  I can see things starting to fall into place.  I feel more at home every day. The litmus test: Jeff has been away 5 nights and in spite of manning the helm alone for this length of time, I can still say that.  He's in our beloved East Lansing without me, telling me about who he's visiting with and what he's seeing, and I can still say that.  When it's meant to be, it's meant to be. Said in my best New York accent.

 

 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm glad you got that glimpse of sun today. You are so strong. I'm so happy for you. Love you.