Sunday, January 3, 2010

Enjoying the Fire

We are home from holiday travels. Home to a bounty of snow of the kind that gives Syracuse its reputation. The journey was LONG. We hit snow on 90, and my traffic-hating husband jumped off the thruway and took the long way, something he's been dying to do anyway. We avoided tolls and found the scenic route. Amazingly, it was fun. I would actually do it again.

There is something nice about being home, even though this place is still earning that title. Though today the washer and dryer have been running non-stop, new things had to find places, dinner had to be cooked since I refuse to spend any money on eating out for a long time and also carried a ham bone back from Ohio that needed to be used, in the midst of that, we managed to enjoy each other's company and hang out. As Molly was reading to me by fire light (and her sister's new Tinkerbell flashlight) and Biscuit snuggled at our feet, I could see outside into our VERY snowy backyard. If you sit in our family room in front of the fireplace looking out on the snowy pine tree hill, you can be fooled into thinking you are in a mountain lodge. Dinner, a simple soup, was indescribably delicious, eaten in front of the fire. The snow is higher than Biscuit by far, and I was laughing so hard it hurt as he dove in and out, zooming around making tunnels when I took him out.

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?" -Unknown.

This quote I stumbled upon earlier made me smile - personal experience. (Trouble with the campfire, that is. I do not believe we have been responsible for burning down any actual forests). And I've been noticing that the fireplace gets a strange amount of space in this blog.

As I think about this day, I can't help but notice that often times I try so hard to create a great experience, while the best ones are often the ones that just happen. They are an impromptu lunch that consists of a decadent sundae with a friend, a lazy summer picnic with family, a cold walk with the dog I hadn't wanted to take, a church service I hadn't wanted to get up to attend, a detour on a trip. Etc. Etc. Etc. The times I obsess over the "campfire," are not usually half as rewarding.

And the proverbial forest fires happen in my life, because trust me, careless is a word that easily describes me. I usually berate myself, exhaust myself trying to put them out, and vow I will be more disciplined next time. Sometimes when I look back, those are the experiences that make me laugh or learn or at least remember for all of time. I am not good at keeping New Year's Resolutions. But for 2010: less obsessing, more enjoying the moment. I intend to enjoy the fire, no matter how it was created.

No comments: