Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Then I Saw the Childcare, Now I'm a Believer

When I told people I was moving to Upstate NY, if they had any experience with the area they would breathlessly gush, "Oh, you'll have Wegman's!"  When I started meeting people here they would inevitably ask, "Have you been to Wegman's yet?"  

For goodness sake, it's a grocery store, I would think.  It is very nice.  Yes, you never have to wait in line.  But I couldn't find andouille sausage there.  (Getting picky - they have a wide selection of almost everything.)  They are one of the best employers in the country, with happy full-time employees who get full benefits packages.  You can make being a Wegman's cashier a viable career.  They have lots of fresh local produce in the summer.  They have a great bakery and their made-to-order food is great, if a little pricey.  But still, I miss Kroger sometimes. 

One day, maybe a few weeks ago, I ran into a fellow mom whose child is Anna's friend at preschool.  As we small talked, I noticed her little guy wasn't with her. When I asked about him, she said, "Oh, he's in the play area; he just loves it there."  Play area?  She informed me that it was free babysitting while you shop.  This is a very conscientious mother.  She even has mommy business cards.  She can be trusted.  

But still, dropping your kid off in a grocery store?  Sounds great, but really?  By coincidence, the next day at a birthday party two other moms were talking about how their kids loved the play area at Wegman's.  

We had to stop at Wegman's after church Sunday, and I mentioned this play area stuff to Jeff.  Without hesitation he turned around to Anna and said,"Wanna try the play area today?"  And they tried it out.  My job was to shop as fast as I could, so I didn't really check it out.  

Today, I walked Anna over to the play area and the nicest lady ever welcomed us.  The place was clean as could be, and was almost better equipped than Anna's preschool.  Climbing structure, play kitchen, games, books, coloring supplies and very bright and cheerful. It was completely enclosed with one way in or out, church nursery style. They gave her and I matching bracelets, I had to sign a waiver that I would not leave the store, and Anna ran in to play while I ran to get a cart before I woke up.

Shopping bliss.  I looked at everything I possibly wanted to look at in that big, wonderful, store.  I checked out exotic brands of cheeses and all the salsa possibilities in the world while no one whined at me.  No one begged me for junky cereal or M & M's or scolded me for buying broccoli.  I even did another search for andouille, and was not the least bit perturbed about not finding it.  

I picked up my safe, happy little camper and arrived home not the least bit stressed out, which I usually am after a big grocery excursion.  Nor did I pay a dollar and get piercing stares from other mothers while I pushed my kid around in a video cart.

I believe. Wegman's, I now love you too and pledge you my loyalty along with all those other New Yorkers.  

They have a cafe inside the store too.  Maybe Jeff and I can have a date night after all....

1 comment:

The MessyBlessyMomma said...

Oh, I drive across the border to get to Wegman's....is that bad?