At this time of year, I get so much junk mail in my inbox that my index finger gets a work out on the delete key. I get e-mails from organizations I have had some connection to, on any given level. Some are dearer to my heart than others. For instance, IJM, the company my sister works for, is a lot dearer to my heart than um, Harry & David. One time I bought a fruit basket for my grandma and grandpa and now you won't leave me alone? Delete Harry & David.
Today I opened one from an organization asking me to write a letter to President Obama about a peace plan at this crucial time when Southern Sudan is considering breaking off from Northern Sudan. "I don't have time for this right now." Delete. Thoughts of exams (look how hard I'm studying), a dinner party at my house Monday night, Christmas prep, etc. made me do it. Anyway, the next e-mail that popped up was from a company who peddles products I covet. I stopped to read all the delicious sale details. Oh, thigh-high snow boots rated for -400 degrees that still manage to look fashionable, how I want you!
Then I kind of threw up in my mouth a little. So, there are people that have been driven from their homes in the middle of the night and have watched loved ones be slaughtered, and more of this violence could happen and I don't have time for this?! But I have time to check out the sales of my favorite retail stores?
Hearing another sermon about Christmas is about as welcome as hearing that you actually have 10 more people to buy for and no extra money to accomplish that task. This realization, though, is less about Christmas and more about how I live my whole life. (I have long thought it bizarre that we simultaneously try to make our most important Christian holiday our most materialistic one).
The truth about my life: I make time for what's important to me. I spend money on what's important to me. My actions say that there are a lot of people and causes that are less important than my selfish pursuits.
2 comments:
you are a wonderful person. Merry CHRISTmas Tiffany. God sees all the amazing works you do and the good choices you make. Someone to look up to for sure!
Ellie, everyone needs a cheerleader like you. No wonder you've been blessed with 3 soon to be 4 children! Merry Christmas to you to!
Post a Comment