I am a huge fan of my nephews. HUGE. I decided to title this post in their honor. Two of my favorite Christmas memories involve them and this greeting.
1. Somewhere in this world, there is footage of Brayden strumming his brand new guitar ( I think he was 5ish?) and singing "Feliz Navidad" Springsteen-style. Really, if anyone out there has this, please send it to me and I will post it for the viewing pleasure of everyone else. The repeated, throaty "I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas" is too good to miss.
2. My family has a tradition of a child reading a little verse from the advent calender (and they get to eat an Andes mint also tucked in the pocket - weird, I don't remember how that started, but it's a tradition here to stay), and they pick a carol. It's a reflective time, meant to sort of be a quiet moment. Collin, at age 4ish was a guest at our home one night and we gave him the honor of the verse, candy, and carol choice. Without announcing his choice, he burst into "Feliz Navidad," complete with a little head bobbing and and little bit o' dancing. I don't know why my sister's boys love that song so much.
We had Jeff's class of doc students over last night for dinner. His adviser, Suzanne, used to always have her doc students over for a meal the last night of a class. Jeff loved this practice, and along with many other ways he emulates her in his new career, he wanted to carry this tradition on with his own doctoral classes. In a university post-graduate program, there are inevitably going to be international students. Half of our group last night were internationals.
It was so enjoyable. A student from Korea brought some Dduk to share. My girls got to hear about what life is like in other places: what other people eat, what they think of American football, what their school experiences were like, etc. I love having people in my home for a meal anyway, but last night the phrase "Peace on Earth, Goodwill to men" ran through my mind. What would the world be like if we were all required to sit at a table with people we think are different, strange, or even an enemy and share a meal?
I am thankful for all the different people in my little world. This year has been made richer by all the people of different nationalities I have had the privilege of meeting. By New York friends who it is beginning to be difficult to imagine my life without. By friends we have accumulated along the journey and hold dear. By family who always has been and always will be there for us. Including those 2 fabulous nephews, one of whom I may still be able to coax into a performance. By you, who make me believe the attempt is worthwhile.
Merry Christmas! Krismas Njema Na Heri Za Mwaka Mpya (Swahili)! Chuk Sung Tan (Korean)! Rehus-beal-leats (Eritrean)! Feliz Navidad!
4 comments:
Tell me you googled those versions of Merry Christmas. If you can speak all those languages, you might be too amazing to be friends with me. :)
Ha! I laughed out loud. I think I have Brayden footage. I'll try to get it to you...
If you put it somewhere on the web Kristy, you can put the link directly in this comment section if you want.
And I do not speak all those languages:) I do have Kenyan, Eritrean, Korean and Puerto Rican friends who speak them:)
Here's the link on FB - thank you Kristy!
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1611906030845&ref=mf
Post a Comment