Monday, February 21, 2011

Mid Winter Kick-off

My kids are off this week on "Mid-winter break."  Did you catch that? In Syracuse, February 21 is considered at least 6 more weeks of winter, not spring-is-just-around-the corner.  My apologies, prophetic groundhog in Pennsylvania.  We smelled some spring on Thursday and Friday.  The snow in my yard melted down to 6 inches worth and I didn't have to wear a coat when I went outside.  It hit 56 degrees.  And then there was a mini-blizzard on Saturday.  Snow last night.  It smells cold.

We are tempted to be tired of winter.  But we just can't go there yet.  So I'm trying to plan all kinds of appropriate activities with the kids this week.

Yesterday after church, the girls and I went skating with one of my friends and her girls.  First we stopped at famous Heid's for lunch.  It's buy one get one free frank or coney month. You have to give them a handmade coupon.  Syracuse coneys are not Cincinnati coneys.  They don't have chili on them.  That would be a hot dog with chili.  

 The skating rink downtown.  I love outdoor skating rinks in the middle of cities.  So does Moll.
 And Nan.  Those skating lessons served her well.  She flies around like a pro now.
 Anna and her buddy.  It was a perfect winter day for skating outside, really.
 This weekend kicked off Winterfest.  They don't let you have any illusions around here.  This igloo castle is made of 1600 blocks of ice and they light it up at night. 
The ice sculptures were glad to see normal winter temps again.  The warm-up was not in the Winterfest plans.

When you live in Syracuse, you have winter.  Might as well enjoy it, and forget all about your cute spring footwear for a few months.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Where'd the camera come from?! Is your family back in the world of the photographed?! :)

I admire your acceptance of the fact that you are only midway through winter. Admirable. Difficult.

Tiffany said...

It's Molly's, back in working order. We're photographed the way Moll wants us to be:)

Amanda said...

I love it! I love seeing photos from the kid's perspective.