My father-in-law is a quotable guy. Once, when attending Molly's fifth grade school orchestra concert (this is the year that students began the instrument in East Lansing), he shifted in his seat and said something about "these school music instructors" overestimating the listening capacity of their audiences by a factor of 2.
His words rang in my ears last night as I was in attendance at Molly's middle school concert. Molly's involvement in things like the MSU children's choir and the SSYO have totally and completely spoiled me. My expectations are now such that I have forgotten that at school concerts, kids act and perform like kids. Everybody gets to play, regardless of their talent or commitment. There is a place for that, and school is such a place. It's a good thing (I just stole Martha's catchphrase. I think I've been doing too much room redecorating lately). But I could not help but agree with my father-in-law that the whole thing should have been shortened.
It did not end until 9:00 p.m., and I had promised Moll I would take her out for dessert. Jeff was busy on calls with incoming freshman, so I knew Anna wouldn't be properly put to bed until I got home. Moll came out to meet me with tears ready to spring to her eyes as she begged if we could still go out for dessert. "We never get to do things with just the 2 of us!"
I called Jeff to make sure Anna was holding up ok, and then Moll and I headed to a local restaurant where I am always too stuffed to order off its amazing dessert menu. She and I split an order of beignets. Oh, so good. Both the dessert and the time spent with Molly. Not so much the concert.
In case you were feeling sorry for Anna, she and I did get to go to the library and Panera, one of our favorite rainy morning activities. And while we were gone she got to watch one of her favorite movies, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Again.
No comments:
Post a Comment