This was Molly's weekend. She ran a 5k Saturday morning in 29:29 (this is without me running beside her, prompting her - she set her own pace and ran her own race). Sunday, she made her Confirmation. It was a lovely service the 5 kids and their leaders planned and executed. She even played her violin as Communion music, which is a step out of her comfort zone since she is used to performing in a group.
All Sunday, I heard so many wonderful things about my daughter, and a number of people who have worked closely with Molly this year expressed how much they loved her, and what a great kid she is.
Monday, Jeff got a call from one of Molly's teachers to report that she had been given a Student of the Month Award. The teacher went on to gush about how wonderful the team of teachers thinks Moll is, what a great student and a pleasure to teach she is.
But let me be clear. This has nothing to do with what kind of mother I am. Those of you who know Molly well and have watched her grow up are fully aware that this kid was born this way. In fact, if I have done anything, I have gotten in her way. Somehow, parents can give kids the idea that they are always watching to make sure they do the right thing, hawking for any slip up or excuse to be irritated.
Molly reads this blog, and I want to say very clearly that I am so proud of Molly. I think she is WONDERFUL. I don't expect her to be perfect. I don't even want her to be. Sometimes kids think we want them to follow in our footsteps; I hope to God she takes her own path, not mine. My greatest moments of joy as her mother are those when I see the true Molly - Molly being her own person. If my instruction and correction can be mistaken for condemnation and mistrust, it's because I am not-so-great at this mom gig, even though I have been given the easiest kid on the face of this earth to parent.
When it comes time for a baby bird to leave the nest, the process is not graceful. It is frightening for both parent and child. Intentions are misunderstood. Things get uncomfortable or even painful. Molly, I hope the result will be that your wings will be strong, and you will have the confidence to spread them wide. I love you.
1 comment:
I concur that Molly is an amazing gal. This was a lovely tribute to her.
Post a Comment