I contributed to keeping my favorite local bookstore open last week:) It was Anna's last official day of afternoon kindergarten, which was totally worth lunch out and a new book for all of the girls in the family. Anna picked the next in the Ivy and Bean series. I picked The Help (GO GET IT! IT'S FABULOUS!) Since Molly wasn't present, I did the picking for her and decided it was time for her to read To Kill a Mockingbird. And I decided that book needed a permanent place on our shelves.
Molly did okay the choice. I told her ahead of time what I was thinking of picking up if the store did not have Millicent Min, Girl Genius. They did not.
Unlike Anna and I who read our books within the first 24 hours, in typical Molly fashion she paced herself and just finished. And when she did, I received one of those rare moments in parenting - the kind that when you are sitting in your rocker with a foldout of ultrasound pics trying to picture what life with this new person will be like, that you dream of.
She said, "Mom, I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird."
"What did you think?" I asked.
"Well, I don't know. It was good, I guess. Not good the way I thought it would be. I think I liked it. But - could we talk about it or something because I am not sure I really got it."
Dear God, Let me not blow this opportunity so that many more will follow in its wake. And Thank You for this rare moment of parental bliss.
I mean, how many times does your child come up and ask for a discussion of one of the best books of all time?!
I told her it had been awhile since I read it, and I want to have it fresh in my mind - can she give me a few days to re-read it?
Sure.
Really, nerdy people like me dream of these conversations with their daughters. I have lots to do, but my house may have to be a disaster for company so that I can plow through that book. My friend who is coming over is an English-teaching-literature-lover who would want me to do nothing less. She, in fact, would be mad at me if I cleaned my house and did not read the book and discuss it with my child.
The trick is not to appear too eager or I'll scare her off. I totally have to be, like, whatever, about it.
Which clearly I am not.
2 comments:
I would totally be freaking out too! But the whole time, trying to play it cool.
Have fun!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!
Just don't tell her that when you call Jeff "Boo" I think of "Boo Radley". :)
Post a Comment