The first guy was nice, but he just wasn't interested in the kids at all, or even us. I had that sinking feeling I got with every other dog we'd looked at. I could live with it, but I wasn't thrilled. Then she brought in the little one year old. He trotted right in, head up, tail wagging, went straight to the kids. No jumping, barking, biting. Just tail-wagging, snuggling, fetching the ball. I knew right away. I could get attached to this one. Anna said, "Let's take this dog and hit the road!" It didn't go down exactly like that - we filled out the paperwork, and for not a bad fee we got a neutered, up to date on shots, micro-chipped, de-wormed, licensed, housetrained, well-mannered, people-loving little guy. He was GREAT on the 1 and a half hour car ride home, right between the girls, who thought they were in heaven.
Saturday, August 29, 2009
You Just Know
We thought we may never find our dog. We REALLY wanted a dog from a shelter, but we were being pretty selective. I had my name in with Front Street Dog Shelter in Binghamton, one I was really impressed with, along with my specification of what we were hoping for in a dog. Deb called me back and said she had two shih tzus that just came in that might work for us. I hadn't pictured myself with a shih-tzu (Best in Show came to mind), but read up on them and learned that they were super sweet, perfect house companions, good with children. They are not sporty, smart, or guard-dogs, but ya gotta compromise somewhere. They're "hypo-allergenic" after all.
The first guy was nice, but he just wasn't interested in the kids at all, or even us. I had that sinking feeling I got with every other dog we'd looked at. I could live with it, but I wasn't thrilled. Then she brought in the little one year old. He trotted right in, head up, tail wagging, went straight to the kids. No jumping, barking, biting. Just tail-wagging, snuggling, fetching the ball. I knew right away. I could get attached to this one. Anna said, "Let's take this dog and hit the road!" It didn't go down exactly like that - we filled out the paperwork, and for not a bad fee we got a neutered, up to date on shots, micro-chipped, de-wormed, licensed, housetrained, well-mannered, people-loving little guy. He was GREAT on the 1 and a half hour car ride home, right between the girls, who thought they were in heaven.
This says a lot. Even Jeff likes "Biscuit" (the girls, actually bulldog Anna, named him). He is that sweet.
Always lays right where the people are. This is a problem when it's bedtime. He barked and cried and shook his kennel for hours last night. Hopefully tonight will be better? He won't even look at his kennel today, so I'm not so sure. So one of the things we have to figure out: how to get him to like his kennel.
The first guy was nice, but he just wasn't interested in the kids at all, or even us. I had that sinking feeling I got with every other dog we'd looked at. I could live with it, but I wasn't thrilled. Then she brought in the little one year old. He trotted right in, head up, tail wagging, went straight to the kids. No jumping, barking, biting. Just tail-wagging, snuggling, fetching the ball. I knew right away. I could get attached to this one. Anna said, "Let's take this dog and hit the road!" It didn't go down exactly like that - we filled out the paperwork, and for not a bad fee we got a neutered, up to date on shots, micro-chipped, de-wormed, licensed, housetrained, well-mannered, people-loving little guy. He was GREAT on the 1 and a half hour car ride home, right between the girls, who thought they were in heaven.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
congratulations!! super cute :)
advise? we always fed jake in his kennel, helped it seem like his home. I don't think we shut the door, we just put his food in there and let him eat.
congrats, again! you guys... two cars, suburb, dog... wow!!!
So, Howie didn't really like his cage at night either, and eventually he didn't need it. However, at the beginning, it was a must. The first few nights sucked. But, we put comfy doggie blankets in there, and then he got used to it. So it will get better, don't worry. I remember those first few nights when I thought this would NEVER get better, and I'd NEVER get a full night's sleep again. But as you know, Howie is a great sleeper at night. :)
P.S. How does he feel about other dogs? :)
Awww! Let him sleep in your bed. Come on, pleeease. I was no good with kennel training. I have found that my dog now reflects my attitude. He sleeps where he wants:)
Tash - are you tryin' to get me divorced?!
super cute. mr. bojangles would agree. :)
Mr. Biscuit is a very handsome little houndy. He is a bit bigger than most of the shih-tzus I have met, but then again look at the size of Abby (she is a huge cock-a-poo). I am exceedingly happy for you all, nothin like a houndy to put a smile on your face and to always love you and be glad to see you :)
As for the kennel, when we brought Abby home, we covered her kennel (at night) with a blanket and that seemed to work for her. Of course her kennel was in the family room, we closed the kitchen door and our bedroom door, so who knows .. it may not have worked as well as we thought :)
Congrats!! Hoping and praying that the eye situation is nothing other than outdoor bugaboos!
Love you,
AC
Absolutely not! I am just a sucker for a cuddle and I apparently have no qualms with it being with a dog:)
Post a Comment