It snows a lot here. Have I mentioned that? A lot. Lots and lots. Sometimes the news neglects to mention it. Sometimes there are no school delays, even when the road is a mess. If it's less than three inches, it doesn't even count. No one notices or comments. Life is expected to go on.
Part of that is due to great snow crews. Yes, we have plenty of plows and salt and we use them (and pay taxes for them). The plows are enormous and efficient. The roads are often clear when they would be buried other places.
Even so, there are times when the road crews can't keep up. There is only so much snow that can be removed in a certain amount of time. And then, you just have to drive in it.
I am not afraid to drive in snow. I also drive a Subaru Forester. Yesterday, as I was driving to the Center, my Subaru skidded down our hill. Side streets are one thing. But out on the main road, there were three inches of slush that made everyone slow down by at least 15mph to prevent from sliding into the next person. Even then, there was some sliding going on. I envisioned my baby getting on the kindergarten bus with great nervousness.
Coincidentally, the first day of my last semester of classes began yesterday. It's fully loaded, and a little scary, but it will be the last one before the internship. And then, this much too old to be a senior undergrad will graduate. There are times when it feels like I'm driving through slush, so to speak.
But life keeps going. It doesn't stop for circumstances or fears or finances. You get out and live or stay home and go nowhere. (Which I must admit is often times just fine with me). These Syracuse people are tough. And now I'm one of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment